Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a d16a6 from a 88 civic si 1.6l and I have it in my 1995 civic dx :-D. So, I have just replaced my timing belt and water pump. For reasons too long to explain I dont have a timing belt cover for the lower half of the engine. I need help timing the engine and a place to find the lower timing belt cover besides a honda dealership, and none of the junkyards within 70miles of where I live have any. i was wanting to also know if any of the timing belt covers are inter changable with other engines.

I would appreciate all the help I could get ASAP, So i can stop car pooling to school.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
a6s use the strange mark at 7 o clockish. But I am sure you know this. What you can do is kind of use the normal marks and line them up with the valve cover it will get you close. Put the belt on take up the slack on the non tension side and see where it lands.

As far as interchangeable you can look up part #s at Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store but I think you can use covers of a d15b1/2 maybe.?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know nothing about timing an engine... I can get help from others once they know what marks to use. can you lead me to any other usefull sources for this subject maybe? please?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grrr, the lower timing belt cover will cost me a ittle over 50$ AHHH RIP OFF!, gotta buy what i gotta buy though.. :(

·
Registered
279 Posts
or you can find #1 cly at top dead center by putting a long rod down the spark plug hole turn it till it drops then go the other way till it drops and the highest point will be at tdc

·
Registered
279 Posts
that mark by itself on the pulley is for you to put the #1 cyl at tdc the others marks on the crank pulley are for ign timing you dont need the pointer on the timing cover to tell you where tdc is just find tdc like i said before and make sure the marks on the pulley are up so you know your on the right stroke

·
Registered
735 Posts
yeah, a d16a6, and a ZC are two different engines. a lot a like. but different.

check the stamp on the left side of your EXH mani. there is a plate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, a d16a6, and a ZC are two different engines. a lot a like. but different.

check the stamp on the left side of your EXH mani. there is a plate.
I took the exhaust manifold from my cars chassis stock engine which was a d15b7... so yeah.. and my clutch is also from my stock chassis.. which was a 1995 civic dx 4dr

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
none of that really matters. look on the block itself. the code will be on the flat part of the block where the tranny meets the block right around the middle

http://hondaswap.com/~mike/crx/crx_junk/crx_junk_med_19.jpg

like this
well my bro finally hooked up our air compressor. I will pickup a metric impact socket set at a local hardware store.. mine is harbor freight. Take that sucker to the camshaft bold.. yup.. I will verify what engine I have tomorrow. And let you guys know what we're actually working with. I also wanted to find out what cars have the same engine as me and will thus have the lower timing belt cover that I need, so I can go salvage and search junkyards, since honda is charging 50$ for the lower timing belt cover..

·
Registered
735 Posts
well my bro finally hooked up our air compressor. I will pickup a metric impact socket set at a local hardware store.. mine is harbor freight. Take that sucker to the camshaft bold.. yup.. I will verify what engine I have tomorrow. And let you guys know what we're actually working with. I also wanted to find out what cars have the same engine as me and will thus have the lower timing belt cover that I need, so I can go salvage and search junkyards, since honda is charging 50$ for the lower timing belt cover..

why are we taking the impact to the cam bolt? the marking is on the front of the engine... once you read this plaque (doesnt require taking anything off) we can further assist you. pop your hood. grab a light(if its in the shade/drak area) and look under your dizzy and let us know... 5 sec later we can help! :bigok:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
why are we taking the impact to the cam bolt? :bigok:
I couldnt get the cam shaft pully off so I have tried my other options as far as using the car in gear, and using a breaker bar, I also tried using the started to loosen the cam shaft bolt, and it turned it the way that tightened teh bolt instead of loosening it. I have broken a socket via a breaker bar. So I am going to use an air tool to try and loosen the bolt..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
identity

So here are two pics from the from of the engine between the trany and the exhaust manifold. I hope this helps us in identifying this engine.. and assist in the timing. I did read on wikipedia that the only difference between the ZC version of the d16a6 and the jdm version is that the cam timing is a bit more tight and finicky.
the number in the picture below are 6218663 ZC and also PM3-6

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
ok now that we know it's a zc sohc, i'm assuming no vtec right? take a pic of your cam gear. there should be three dashes and the word up on it. find #1 tdc like i said before then put your cam so that up is up, the bottom dash should line up to a pointer on the cyl head back cover the two dashes on the side will have the left below and the right one above the valve cover surface. that should get you going

1 - 20 of 23 Posts