Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I know I had a similar thread to this in the past, but it went off in the wrong direction, and now it's too late to save it. Please forgive me.

Now onto the good stuff.

I drive an '88 CRX HF. I just picked up a full D16A6 engine that needs rebuilding for free.

There's a picture of the engine as it stands now. I'm about to get a stand for it, then I can begin this madness. That's where you guys come in. I'm armed with a Hayne's Repair Manual, and the internet. I've never rebuilt an engine.

From what I can find, our site sponsor seems to be the most cost effective option for me to completely rebuild this engine to OEM spec.

The first thing that I'm completely sure about is I will be needing new gaskets, seals, and piston rings.

Gasket/Seal Set: http://fjdistributors.com/product_info.php?products_id=256"
I believe that kit comes with all the gaskets and seals I will need. If it does not, please tell me what it's missing.

Piston Rings: http://fjdistributors.com/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=220
I'm hoping I won't need to replace the pistons. If I do need to though, does anyone know what pistons are in it? I think they are PM6's. Also, if I need them, does anyone know where I can get them, because FJ doesn't seem to have them.

I'm not sure what else I should change besides the timing belt. I'm hoping that the block won't really need any machine work, and I haven't decided if I want to hone it myself, or get a shop to do it.

Please remember that I'm rebuilding this to OEM spec.
Any links to write-ups, or mentions of anything I might need to replace that I missed are greatly appreciated.

Once I get it done, I'll be dropping it into my HF.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's really personal preference, but on my A6 rebuild I replaced the timing belt tensioner, the water pump, the oil pump, and the PCV valve in addition to all of the things you listed.

One thing I don't see is crank, and rod bearings. I hope you plan on replacing them too.

Is your clutch and flywheel good? (I'm not completely sure if your HF clutch & flywheel will fit the A6 - better check)

I would also download the factory service manual from honda hookup (registration required) to make sure all of the torque specs are correct.

-Des!

·
Formerly weebeastie
904 Posts
Have you already torn down this engine?

What year did it come out of? 88 model A6's had a factory recall because of pistons that would go out of round. Most of these were fixed from the factory, but the one I'm using in my build was not. Got that info from a Honda tech who has worked for Honda since '85. Anyway, you also need to check if there is excessive wear in the cylinder bores. If there is then your block will need to be bored out. This is usually done in .020" or .5 mm increments with a safe max overbore of .040" or 1mm. This can be easily checked. Remove the cylinder head, reach into the cylinder bore and run your finger nails up to the upper rim of the bore. If your finger nails catch on the upper rim of the bore, then you should have it overbored. This is a very simple test, and not the most accurate, but odds are if your fingernails catch then new rings will not seat in that block with a standard bore. Just some thoughts. Feel free to PM with any questions you might have.

·
Registered
580 Posts
try this as well. I always looking things up.

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/
88-91

some things i can think off from the top of my head...

oil seals, there is one in the oil pump and one around the end of the crank where the fly wheel bolts onto.(put some gresse on them before installing)

oil sump gasket

check the condition of the oil pump, it should be good, just might need a clean.

bearings, crank / big ends

piston rings, good idea to hone the bore. there is a tool you can buy with stones on for doing this you simply put it in a drill. I don't know what its called but i am plaining to buy one soon.

valve guides / valves / valve seals

cam oil seal, sits next to the cam gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts