Honda D Series Forum banner

D16A6 Rebuild

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  chirp the 1-2 
#1 ·
Okay, so right now I'm driving an '88 CRX HF, with the stock D15B6 in it. One of my friends just dropped an H22 into his CRX, and is offering me the D16A6 that came out of his car for free. He's flat out telling me it needs to be rebuilt.

What all should I get to rebuild it, and how much will it cost.

My budget for this is $400, but I can go a bit over if I really have to.

#4 ·
From the first time I talked to him all I could really tell is that when it was in his CRX he dogged it pretty bad. He just said it needs a rebuild. I'll try to get more info from him tonight when he gets off work. Basically, I'm looking to fully rebuild it anyways though.

I've also never rebuilt an engine, but I have the shop manual, and lots of time.

#6 ·
i would tear it apart. inspect the bearings and what not. have it re-honed no matter what and buy the FJT kit

#8 ·
I see two kits on FJ, one for high compression, and one for turbo, but I don't think they have just a rebuild kit.

High Compression:
http://fjdistributors.com/product_info.php?products_id=139

Turbo:
http://fjdistributors.com/product_info.php?products_id=142

Originally, I wanted to build it for turbo somewhere around 8psi. I'm aiming for 150hp to the wheels when it's all said and done. Then I realized that the turbo kit that would get me to that goal would be around $3000. Now I'm starting to think I'd rather just stay NA, at least for a good while.

So, what I'm asking, is if any of you know where I can get an OEM level specification rebuild kit.

Either that, or if someone could give me some pointers in the way of going the High Compression route. What all would I need to buy besides that kit? I know probably new camshafts, but what else?

I'm on a budget, and just trying to add some oomph to my daily commute.

#9 ·
id stick with stock compression honestly. its going to be a big jump from the stock HF motor, so i think you will be happy with an OEM a6.

follow your manual, size new bearings, new rings, and have the head checked to see if it needs new guides and change the stem seals. replace all the gaskets and call it a day. stick to the basics and it should be pretty straightforward

#10 ·
you can get an autoworks turbo kit for a lot less than 3g and easily make much more than 150 whp.

#12 ·
Alrite, so I think I've officially ruled out turbo, unless someone throws a couple thousand dollars at me.

So the two choices are OEM spec, or the FJ High Compression rebuild.
I still don't know where I'd be able to get an OEM spec rebuild kit, but the FJ kit will cost $300.

I know if I stayed OEM, I would keep the same pistons and camshafts etc.

If I went the High Compression route, what else might I end up needing besides that kit, and a complete, yet worn A6 motor? Would I need to look for new rods, and get a new cam? Among other things? It includes pistons that will up the compression to a little bit over 11 to 1.

Thanks for everyone that's helped me so far, you guys are really helping me put this together, specifically ryan89crx. Props to you bro.

#13 ·
as long as the rods you take out arent cracked or anything, they are fine to use. If your looking to make power, get the high comp. kit. A bigger cam is neede if you want to make good power N/A. A bisi stg 2 would be good unless you wanna spend the money for a hard weld.

#14 ·
So, if I rebuild it with that kit, I could do headwork, and get a new cam, but I wouldn't have to... Would I need anything in the ways of fuel delivery, or spark?

Also, just for reference and comparison, does anyone know where I can find an OEM spec rebuild kit?

(I know I ask a lot of questions, this is my first project.)

#19 ·
im doin something similar on my d16a6. if you have some extra time to save some more dough i would go with the p29 superkit like u mentioned. machine work will own you if it needs to be bored, decked, honed, etc. take ur time and do research. pm me if u have any questions. this will be my second a6 rebuild. you will need ecu tuning for the p29s!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.