Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'll preface this with the fact that I am completely inexperienced when it comes to engines and I am in the learning phase.
My 1990 Si recently started fouling plugs in the 2nd cylinder. A friend walked me through pulling the head off, as he figured a valve seal had gone and was allowing oil into the cylinder.
After head removal, we found a broken exhaust valve, and I've ordered the parts to begin the replacement, as well as new gaskets and seals all around.
If someone here has the knowledge, what are the steps to replacing valves (necessary tools, valve adjustments, etc.) ?I I'm worried about slapping a piston face into a valve the second I start the car again.
The two of us are confident in our work, but have had a hard time finding the right info moving forward regarding small details. (We're Toyota guys)
Thanks in advance!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,403 Posts
theyre the same as you would with a Toyota. valve spring tool, lapping compound and a Haynes manual are all youll need.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,239 Posts
chevy guy yesterday toyota guys today .

op are you real ?

going to guess he is never coming back..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a Haynes in the trunk. Basically just in over my head looking at an engine in pieces on the garage floor and figured the Honda folks might have some weird wisdom not mentioned in there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Basically just in over my head looking at an engine in pieces on the garage floor and figured the Honda folks might have some weird wisdom not mentioned in there.
I know the feeling. Haynes manuals are great and have all the specs you need, but sometimes the photos kinda suck for some of the things I'm looking to do. YouTube videos would help too if you need to see someone physically doing it. SOHC D16's are more or less the same so you could look at basically any video and get by.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts