Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are about to begin a build on a d16a6 and i was wondering which aftermarket head studs you guys were using and where you ordered them from. i found someone with some d16y8s but i know a couple of the studs lengths are different. i did a search and really didnt find what i was looking for. thanks jason

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help. every site i have checked they only showed a part number for the y8 or d16z thats why i wasnt sure.

jason

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
88ED3 said:
yeah. what the purpose?
stock head bolts stretch over time (reusing them a few times can be "ok" but over and over again = weak)

The head studs dont stretch like the bolts do. If you're running boost or high compression, its a pretty good security measure you can take to protect your head gasket. Also, using an all metal head gasket helps a lot as well. (a6 head gaskets are horrible, especially when they bake themselves to the block and head)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
95civicgsr said:
we are about to begin a build on a d16a6 and i was wondering which aftermarket head studs you guys were using and where you ordered them from. i found someone with some d16y8s but i know a couple of the studs lengths are different. i did a search and really didnt find what i was looking for. thanks jason

we are building a d16a6 for boost. we are using cp pistons stock bore,eagle rods,acl bearings,supertech valve springs/retainers with omni valves. i really dont think it would be a good idea to use stock head bolts do you?
we were looking for head studs and didnt see any listed for the a6 that is why i was asking here. to see what other people who have replaced the oem ones were using.

fooker we will be using a metal h/g,thanks for your input.

·
6,710 Posts
Oh, i forgot to add, you also get the bling factor of having head studs ;) makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that you have that extra insurance.

Also when assembling the motor, its so much easier to put the head on, since the studs are sitting there guiding the head down. (Comes in handy when the block is in the car, and the intake manifold is still on the head) Use the dowells still, but it makes life easier

·
Registered
593 Posts
when i was building an a6 i tried finding arp studs for it but i heard from a few different sources that arp doesn't make a6 studs, so i used oem ones and one y8 one for the pass. side intake stud.

btw if you need oem a6 studs i have em new from honda dealer lmk

·
6,710 Posts
ekny8 said:
when i was building an a6 i tried finding arp studs for it but i heard from a few different sources that arp doesn't make a6 studs, so i used oem ones and one y8 one for the pass. side intake stud.

btw if you need oem a6 studs i have em new from honda dealer lmk
he's not gonna need them, thanks tho ;)

Well, now you know, for an A6, use Z6 studs from ARP.

Tried and true.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I got my ARP studs from summitracing.com for less than $100 shipped.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i was going to order them from earl but he didnt have any after all so i ordered them from tom at lightning motorsports. i got the z6 ones. hopefully we will get everything back from the machine shop soon.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
another usefull piece of information. thanks. im planning to rebuild my an a6 now. im picking up the head and all connections this friday. what would be a good head gasket to use?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wow its sounds similar to what i have in mind for my A6 ill be using JE .20 over low comp pistons and all supertech valve train with over size valves all balanced mine will be boosting as well

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
so i should use the z6 headgasket in the rebuild huh? why not use a y8?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.