Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 CRX si
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 89 CRX si has an issue first thing in the morning. It will start then die but after 3 or 4 attempts she fires up and runs fine and continues to fire and run great the rest of the day. All comments appreciated!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,980 Posts
you letting it prime before you fire it up?

·
Registered
89 CRX si
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yessir! I'm letting that pump hum for at least 5 seconds.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,980 Posts
try to let it prime 2 or 3 times, see if that helps.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
any smoke out of the exhaust?

check coolant and oil level....

Perhaps yank a spark plug out and see what mystery it reveals

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,929 Posts
My CRX sat for like 5 months and I just started it on Saturday. Primed the pump once and she started right up.

Theres definitely a problem. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

·
Registered
89 CRX si
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whatever problem I had has fixed itself. Some things in this world we just can't explain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Common issue on all 1988-1991 crx and civics is the fuel main relay it causes issues with slow cranking no cranking fuel not pumping and car stalling. It is located under the dash near the kick panel on the drivers side of the car, its held on by one 10mm bolt. The issue is the OEM manufacturer used shitty solder on the joints on the circuit board and it cracks around the terminals giving bad connections intermittently. Long story short you can pull the main relay and resolder the connections or just go on ebay and buy a brand new one for 19 bucks I keep a spare in my glove box and one in my garage that's how common of a failure it is. It'll present itself slowly sometimes like won't crank on a hot day or stall and run out of fuel out of nowhere, you will blow it off as a fluke but it will return I promise lol. Guaranteed this will fix all the issues I've owned 5 - 88-91 "EF" series vehicles since I was 16 they all had bad main relays at some point.

Search ebay "crx main relay" should have plenty under 20 bucks.

s-l400.jpg
This is what it looks like.

I just installed a brand new one in my 1991 Honda CRX 2 months ago it was stalling and not starting on hot Florida days, not a single issue since👍

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
If it is now working fine, then I agree with above, possible main relay failure.
It is strange though, my previous experiences with main relay failures happened during hot days or long car rides more often.

My personal cold start issues generally were from a headgasket slowly seaping, and sitting overnight, would fill some of the combustion chamber up, causing a hard start. For the rest of the day, it would act fine.

Again, I would stress, check your coolant level, and see what your spark plugs look like, if you encounter this issue again.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
479 Posts
My experience with a similar scenario, my EK cranks for longer the lower the fuel level gets. When the tank is nearly empty, and the fuel line pressure has zerod it can crank for quite a while before it catches. Then once the fuel lines are pressurised it'll restart fine without issue.

·
Registered
'88 CRX
8 Posts
Check the easiest things first. Make sure battery terminals are clean/tight. Look inside distributor cap and make sure it’s not wet or corroded. Make sure plug wires are seated correctly on both ends. Make sure there’s no oil inside the spark plug holes in the valve cover. Look at your spark plugs and clean or replace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts