Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI guys,

As most of you probaly remember i have just succeded in a mini-me over here in the UK in my EG4 civic

I now have a new project, it's a UK built Rover for the gf, as some of you may know Rover had an engine shortage in the mid 90's so therefore bought some excess stock off Honda, these cars turned out to be very popular as Rover had many headgasket problems with there K-series engine.

The engine used was a D16a6, from what i gather this is a common engine in USA??

I'm yet to find out what ECU it runs however which is the biggest issue, standard it's MPFI so would it be worth swapping to a D16z6 inlet and would all the plugs fit straight on?

I found the D16z6 head onto a D15b2 quite easy in my EG4 as i swapped the whole inteior loom but my only worry is the complications of having a Rover interior loom and issues of wiring in VTEC

Anyone throw me any advice or anyone even know anything about the Rover 216 Coupe??

Sorry for the essay

Chris ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont c why not on the swap the hardest part is going to be the wireing of the motor
Exactly what i think, it seems to be that it uses a Honda engine loom which is good, would it be worth while putting on a D16y7 head as that is non-vtec correct?? Therefore it should be plug in and play already being MPFI??

By the way whats the standard spec for this engine as i have no clue. Also does anyone have the part number for the cambelt for a D16a6?

Thanks in advance

Chris ;)

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
I want one of those valve covers so bad...

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
Exactly what i think, it seems to be that it uses a Honda engine loom which is good, would it be worth while putting on a D16y7 head as that is non-vtec correct?? Therefore it should be plug in and play already being MPFI??

By the way whats the standard spec for this engine as i have no clue. Also does anyone have the part number for the cambelt for a D16a6?

Thanks in advance

Chris ;)
the d16a6 came in our CRX si model cars. it is a non vtec 1.6 and makes around 110 hp. IMO it is one of the best d-series motors out there. i would leave the A6 head on it. i believe it flows better. the motor is not vtec so you could just run your vtec harness and leave the plugs unpluged, or you could put your z6 head on there. aftermarket support is nice for the A6's and many will tell you to remain non vtec. you could run a chipped p28 with vtec taken off, a p06 or a p75. but none of those ecus will be the correct ecu for the motor. d16a6s are obd-0. so your best bet is to chip and tune yourself.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the motor is not vtec so you could just run your vtec harness and leave the plugs unpluged, or you could put your z6 head on there.
Hi there

Thankyou for replying looks like you know your stuff with this engine! :)

How do you mean use the VTEC harness?? I'm assuming as standard there will be no VTEC wiring in there anyway will there??

Just also found it does use a Honda ECU so converting to OBD1 may not be such a challenge as i though.

Is it best to stay with the original inlet and cam then or are there some simple upgrades i can perform?

I suppose adding the D16z6 head i'm looking at around 15 flywheel hp then ye??

Many thanks in advance :)

Chris ;)

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
Hi there

Thankyou for replying looks like you know your stuff with this engine! :)

How do you mean use the VTEC harness?? I'm assuming as standard there will be no VTEC wiring in there anyway will there??

Just also found it does use a Honda ECU so converting to OBD1 may not be such a challenge as i though.

Is it best to stay with the original inlet and cam then or are there some simple upgrades i can perform?

I suppose adding the D16z6 head i'm looking at around 15 flywheel hp then ye??

Many thanks in advance :)

Chris ;)
well i was assuming you were putting this in the hatch in your sig. i guess i could be wrong.
the car should already be obd-1 so no converting would be necessary. i was under the impression that you had a vtec wiring harness in your car. once you pull the motor out of your car, you could take the harness off your engine and plug it in to the a6. all you would have to do is get an obd-1 p06,p75 or chipped p28. hope i can clear any of your questions up.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HI there again

No it's not going in my car EG4, that already has a freshly rebuilt D15b2 with D16z6 head. :)

The D16a6 is staying in the Rover (my gf's car) so in theory i want to mini-me a UK rover, bit different and should be quite a challenge. From what i can see the Rover uses a Honda ECU and is OBD-0.

So.... in thoery i have a spare OBD-1 cut harness in the garage so if i swap over a D16z6 head, use a P28 ECU and then I think all i would need to add would be the VTEC solenoid wiring directly from the ECU correct?? MPFI conviently is allready plummed in and then my only other though is the distributor wiring, i'm assuming the a6 as standard uses a TD-40u distributor and then i'll need the standard TD42u from the D16z6 when fitting? Can i just chop and change a few wires for that?

Finally am i just going way of course and causing my self complications?? Is it best to run just a D16y7 head which is non-vtec or will that see no improvments? Think my only worry now tbh is the wiring for the distributor, can i use the OBD-1 later spec one with a OBD-0 harness

Once again sorry for the essay

Many Thanks

Chris Ellis ;)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Just leave the engine as it is IMO. Using the Y7 head will def not be an improvement.
VTEC with the Z6 head will give you about 15 horses I guess, so you'll have to decide if it's worth it.
I don't think I would bother. If you really want to get more from it, why not get a cam regrind?

The OBD conversion etc. just makes it too much effort for the gain, but that's just my opinion.

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
I'm gonna have to second S18 on this one. Keep the A6 as it is and just build it some. W/ I/H/E and a cam you should be able to net the gains you are after. After that, I'd look for a B series throttle body and a Z6 IM.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just leave the engine as it is IMO. Using the Y7 head will def not be an improvement.
VTEC with the Z6 head will give you about 15 horses I guess, so you'll have to decide if it's worth it.
I don't think I would bother. If you really want to get more from it, why not get a cam regrind?

The OBD conversion etc. just makes it too much effort for the gain, but that's just my opinion.
Thanks for that i will start looking into getting the cam reground, what sort of cam profiles should i be aiming for with this engine?? Only problem i have found is being so enthusiastic about D-series, being in the UK really restrictes me to suppliers, resources and of the course the key, experience!! :)

Thanks guys anyway, your a great help. Will start doing some research on the web and see what I find. Will post up again soon when i have decided which direction to head in

Chris ;)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Well, Deltas 272 and 282 profiles seem to give good gains to people here.
I think the 272 would be good if you're not planning on doing anything to your engine block.

Also, a Z6 intake manifold like boostdeliquent recommended, and a decent header should give a good bump.
After all this, some simple tuning might or might not be worth it.

I know more about the D16Z6 than the A6, so that's about all I can recommend.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thankyou :)

Do you know where i can get a copy of the pin out for the P28 ECU and the D16a6 ECU by the way?? Just found a P28 cut interior loom and P28 ECU in the garage which i had as a spare for if mine had any problems. Got some holiday coming up soon so i'm quite tempted to have a play with the wiring then as i already have it.

Also what issue am i going to encounter with the distributor? Am i correct in thinking there are some extra wires when going OBD-1?

Chris ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
you'd have to use the z6 dizzy if using the z6 head. I've seen a few rover guys here in the uk do mini me's, two of my friends are rover enthusiasts and they said there's a guy running a supercharged mini me in his 216 coupe. Have you tried http://forums.mg-rover.org/ , should be soon good info on there :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts