Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

I have a chance to get a set of brand new CP 75.5 11.01 pistons for my d16a6 for a good price, they're still more expensive than ebay cast pistons (NPR, YCP etc) but the quality reflects that.

SC7126 is the part No. They have stock compression height and +4cc domes. They weigh the same (near enough) to cast stockers.

Is there any disadvantages to running forged pistons incomparison to cast items?

Its a track/weekend car so alot of impracticalities don't matter too much like idle quality, warm up times etc.

I wanna accompany them with some head skimming/block decking to get the compression into the 12s and improve quench and run a lopey cam, something more aggressive than the delta 272 im running currently. Would like good power from 5-8k.

Any info, advice, experiences would be great.

Thanks lee

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Piston to wall clearance is one thing that is different on forged pistons. They will usually have a little "slap" until the fully warm up because of this.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Forged pistons need an extra room to expand as they get warm, cast pistons do not expand as much when hot so you can run tighter clearances. If you ran a forged piston at OE cast specs than you would likely gouge the cylinder walls once the engine got hot, especially in a full boost turbo pull, those pistons will get hot!

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
2018 forged pistons expand alot more than hyperutectic pistons, i would say you need P2W clearances in the range of 4-6 thou for how much expansion they really have and depending on your hp goal.

Usually you dont see much more wear than normal, the piston slap goes away about 30 seconds after startup when the pistons start to warm up, its running the engine under load while the pistons have alot of play that causes premature side skirt wear. However forged pistons are much more forgiving to detonation and much stronger in general as stock cast and hyperutectic forged pistons are much more brittle and like to break ring lands, where as 2018 pistons are more malleable and absorb shock better.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
I will usually contact the manufacturer as well they usually can direct you pretty well on how much P2W you need for the type of application you are aiming for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts