Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally finished my engine. I had posted up my previous build a while back. Some people seemed intersted in it so I though I would post up the new build. Basicly I just changed the bottom end, but since I doubt many even remeber so I'll just list the basic entire set up.

D16A6
*Exospeed stage 3 head w/ stage 4 cam
*Exospeed stage 2 block stock displacement w/ Arias 11.5:1 pistons and Eagle
rods
*Bisi header
*Fujitsubo Legalis-R
*Edelbrock intake manifold w/ SIR II TB and AEM intake
*RC 310 injectors
*Hondata s200

·
Registered
'06 GMC Sierra Crew
170 Posts
Those are flywheel numbers, so about 140whp/106tq... Decent, but i'd imagine a Bisi stage 4 cam should make torque beyond 7000rpm? What's the second curve in each graph, baseline before tune?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The numbers arn't corrected. That's power to the ground.

The cam has a 410 lift and 282 duration. Whats really weird is it actualy made the best power with stock cam and ignition timing.

I was actualy looking at the bisi cams, just to see how they would work. Not sure yet though.

·
Registered
512 Posts
should make torque beyond 7000rpm?
Looks like it's under-aspirated to me. See how the power curve flattens dramatically straight after +-7k ? I would have to say it's a breathing problem on the intake side. Given the setup, I see 3 possible culprits :

- AEM intake (short ram may be better in this application)
- intake ports not enough
- intake valves too small

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
am i correct in sayin red line is flywheel and blue line is corrected for wheel hp and tq?
The red line is the current head and block set up. The blue line is from when I just had the head. Since I tuned it at the same place we were able to print the chart with both graphs for comparison.

As far as the intake goes I already have the short ram on it. I was thinking there may be a breathing issue though. I'm going to mess around with different intake manifold, TB, and intake piping combos to see what happens.

These are the most recent pics I have. It's actually before the new engine went in, but it's close enough.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
OMFG i'm in lust w/your setup. i really it. my question is how the idle when on stand still. i was doing a set up like this but w/cbr600rr itb's at the end. once the motor was broken in but i was told to stop being a girl and just slap them on when the motor is done.
by the way i love the JDM fron clip. and yes i have a rex too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OMFG i'm in lust w/your setup. i really it. my question is how the idle when on stand still. i was doing a set up like this but w/cbr600rr itb's at the end. once the motor was broken in but i was told to stop being a girl and just slap them on when the motor is done.
by the way i love the JDM fron clip. and yes i have a rex too.
Well I still have some things to work out before I finalize idle, but as of now it holds it around 1500 rpm. The biggest problem I have with it is the IACV is locked open to help it idle. So if any loads come on at idle then I have to hold the throttle to keep it alive. In the end it should be able to hold it around 1000-1200 with the IACV operating normaly.

The biggest problem your going to run into is trying to get the car to run before tunning it. With just a cam like this it will barely run if not at all. I mean it will not idle, wants to rev on it's own, rich as hell, no vacume.

With my set up I already had been using this cam and head on a stock block. So I had a pretty good map made up to hadle it already. I was able to seat the rings with the stock injectors in place. Once that was done the new injectors went in and I finished break in on the dyno.

If your starting from scratch then i would seat the rings with a stock cam, injectors, intake manifold and a map made to hanlde higher compresion. This way the engine will run smooth enough and you wont be so rich the cylinder walls get washed. Once thats done then slap the cam, injectors, and ITBs in and get her tuned. The cam and ITBs togetther though will prolly make it a real bitch to tune at first.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ve-ry nice car ! :cool: I'm in love. :3some:

How did the stage 4 cam run on the stock block ? Did it make power ? My cam is similar and I'm looking for a temporary street cam (probably a Catcams stage 2 since they're located only 20 miles from my home) for my sidedraft setup, but if the HC A6 cam runs on a stock block I may reconsider and just slap it in. I'll be running it for a year on my stock block with a ported & milled head and z6 gasket (so give or take 9,6-10:1 compression), then the block will be rebuilt with forged internals.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ve-ry nice car ! :cool: I'm in love. :3some:

How did the stage 4 cam run on the stock block ? Did it make power ? My cam is similar and I'm looking for a temporary street cam (probably a Catcams stage 2 since they're located only 20 miles from my home) for my sidedraft setup, but if the HC A6 cam runs on a stock block I may reconsider and just slap it in. I'll be running it for a year on my stock block with a ported & milled head and z6 gasket (so give or take 9,6-10:1 compression), then the block will be rebuilt with forged internals.
The blue line on my dyno chart is the head/ cam on a stock block. It ran ok. I mean it made power, but it was kinda dead down low. I liked it, but if I had to do it again I would just wait till I had a high compresion set up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts