Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1991 Honda Civic EX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '91 Civic EX about a month ago now. The car is becoming more and more special to me as I own it. The engine has 116K on it and runs on 3 cylinders as far as I know. I originally believed it to be bad rings and planned on working on it as soon as possible. However, I found out from my buddies auto mechanics teacher that if the rings were bad the engine would have blown after 400 miles. That can't be the problem seeing as the car had 114K miles on it when I purchased it. He said to check to make sure there were no stuck valves. Meanwhile the engine only burns enough oil to make smoke above the 4500-5000 RPM mark. The stuck valve would make sense for this. It would mean that at that RPM range the engine is making enough pressure to push oil and fuel out the exhaust valve. At this point I'm convinced the car has a stuck valve and plan on doing something about it soon.

Now on to the good part. I plan on building the engine some to get it to the point that I enjoy it even more than I already do. I'm looking into 76mm P29 pistons. I'm changing all the valves retainers and springs.I'm unsure of whether or not I should change the guides as well. I'm planning on replacing the cam as well. I looked into a Zex cam and am considering it as an option. However, I also found a '91 Civic Si cam. Does anybody know if this cam is an upgrade from the one in the EX sedan?

Any and all observations, opinions, and tips are appreciated. I'm looking for any help of any kind with this and it is all greatly appreciated. I'm going to post pics of the car as soon as possible hopefully. Thanks again for the help!

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
If you are wanting to drive this on the street and not run race gas, I'd suggest PG6 pistons, instead. Nice bump in compression, but still drivable on premium.

As posted in your other thread, the EX and Si cam are the same.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts