Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 crx d16a6 boosted and I have been noticeing that under boost my car was smoking so I pulled over and checked the motor. It seams that the valve cover breather nippe is smoking more than normal and a lot more under boost. The car just got turboed to I just wanna no how to fix it. Also it seams like a very little bit of oil is also coming out the nipple aswell as smoke

·
Certified O.G.
5,605 Posts
Is the car tuned?

If not, I have one answer.

GTFO.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
that is a sign of blowby.. a little is normal, and it also depends on the set-up and how much boost/hp.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car has been tuned but I thought I could run stock exhaust with the turbo and ended up not making the numbers I should be so my tuner could only tune me to like 4000 rpms until I get the exhaust bigger. I mean I'm not getting on the car much and it isn't a hugh amount of smoke but it does smoke a good bit at 4k rpms.

·
Certified O.G.
5,605 Posts
Because of your stock exhaust he could only tune you to 4K?

Find another tuner please.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No what the car was doing was at like 4 the power just was droping straight off and just went straight lean and the reason for that was bc of the stock hf exhaust was not allowing enought air to get out and made way to much back pressure. So he said after I fixed that id be ok. And the tuner is red line performance in ashville nc who has also won and the show pinks all out 4 times so I no the tuners good but my exhaust is only like maybe an inch and a half which was my fault

·
Certified O.G.
5,605 Posts
Ahhhhh it's an HF, yea, that shit is like 1" ID.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mean the car only did 135 tor and 126 hp at 8 lbs but I no I have a set up for like 200 hp I got the $16a6 with only 75k on it dsm 450 injectoers and a garrett t3t4 turbo and a chipped ecu so what do u think is that y I am so low on power ? And what about that valve cover smoke ?. And the tuner is re tunning the car after I get all this fixed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do not have a catch can and the pvc is like the way it always has been from the factory. I no that this is a dumb question but what is the catch can? I just haven't heard very much about it

·
Certified O.G.
5,605 Posts
I do not have a catch can and the pvc is like the way it always has been from the factory. I no that this is a dumb question but what is the catch can? I just haven't heard very much about it
Search "Catch can" on here and read every link you see about one. It's covered probably 100+ times on here.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
first things first get your PCV system taken care of. as it stands right now, when u hit boost ur pumping the block full of pressure.

that is not good for your motor.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
first things first get your PCV system taken care of. as it stands right now, when u hit boost ur pumping the block full of pressure.

that is not good for your motor.
this! its basicaly doing the oppisite of what a catch can and vented VC does

·
Registered
967 Posts
Wait.... smokes Comming out of your valve cover, right? I've got a couple questions, then.

1.) Is your valve cover hose attatched to your charge piping or intake mani in any way?
2.) Does your car have oil in it?
3.) How hot is your engine running?
4.) Does smoke come out of your exhaust, too? If so, your valve stem seals may be warn out.

Blown rings wouldn't cause smoke to come out of your valve cover, mainly because the combustion chamber is sealed closed. And even if the rings had blown, exhaust gasses would flow threw the exhaust ports, not the valvetrain area.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Wait.... smokes Comming out of your valve cover, right? I've got a couple questions, then.

1.) Is your valve cover hose attatched to your charge piping or intake mani in any way?
2.) Does your car have oil in it?
3.) How hot is your engine running?
4.) Does smoke come out of your exhaust, too? If so, your valve stem seals may be warn out.

Blown rings wouldn't cause smoke to come out of your valve cover, mainly because the combustion chamber is sealed closed. And even if the rings had blown, exhaust gasses would flow threw the exhaust ports, not the valvetrain area.
Durr

1 - 20 of 37 Posts