Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm starting a engine build and would like to get some ppls input on my build, it's my first time building an engine.
Any special concerns with this combo? Will it bolt together and be good to go, or is there some specific details that are going to need to be addressed?
Right now the block is going to the machine shop and the head is good to go. And I have a p28.

Thanks in advance
Honda Mike

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,308 Posts
y8 head uses a different head bolt in the back left corner closest to the vtec solenoid. use the z6 camgear, b7 distributor. z6 would have been plug and play (minus dizzy conversion if staying obd0)

been covered a few million times, so if we miss something, you can always double check

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have a b7 dizzy, staying obd0 for now.
And I'll see what length the head bolt is on a ? D16Y8 right?
Thanks slo eg8

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,308 Posts

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found some of those write ups!

Here's the kick, last month only had a d15b7 with a twisted rod. Went on cl and found a gentleman moving and now I have 2 D16A6.
So this is ment to happen lol.
Thanks again

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
Use the Y8 head and cam gear, A6 dizzy, stock ECU with turbo edit or P28 with jumper harness.

A6/Y8 combo without VTEC will yield 113.5 whp through stock intake and get 48 mpg in an 89 CRX HF.

When I pulled the head off I didn't notice any of the bolts being different though. Then again it was all trash anyways.

Bone's Great White CRX thread, which BTW the CRX left as a parts roller last weekend.

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,707 Posts
There's lots of good info out there on the topic. And some good advice on specifics already posted.

One thing I'll say from experience is once you change something or Frankenstein together a build, it becomes increasingly harder to diagnose. Because it's your first build, take your time and become intimate with the details. Keep a log of what you use and what you change up. Trust me in 5 or so years you will appreciate the detail.

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's lots of good info out there on the topic. And some good advice on specifics already posted.

One thing I'll say from experience is once you change something or Frankenstein together a build, it becomes increasingly harder to diagnose. Because it's your first build, take your time and become intimate with the details. Keep a log of what you use and what you change up. Trust me in 5 or so years you will appreciate the detail.
Thank you great advice, keep a status log on the build is a easy way to keep track of details. I'm getting ready to retire and think restoring these hondas will keep me rolling.
If you don't mind I'll put you in my tool box of honda info.
Mike

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it possible that the y8 distributor can be wired by way of a distributor jumper and work with vtec? And if so which ecu?
Thanks
H. M.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
The distributor has nothing to do with VTEC, only ignition input and RPM, TDC, CKP, and CYP output

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.