Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What cam gears are worth a damn for the a6/z6 that are worth a damn as far as design, durability etc? Seems I mostly see chinese knockoffs or bad reviews on the AEM one. Who has a good design worth spending on?

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
I would highly suggest the older aem 3 bolt for its design and durability. I am currently using one and have upgraded the screws I have a diy in here somewhere, but I've never had a problem for 3 years. I am shooting for 600s on another setup and will be using the same gear. The only other gear I would use would be a GE

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an older AEM gear and I suspect that it is a y8 gear though, i have had nagging CYP code 9 problems (several new distributors, brand new wiring, new ecu etc) and the only thing that could be a problem left is mechanical issues. I guess that when I change the t-belt I will double check the gear and see if i didnt fuck it up when i put it in a while back...if you are making that kind of power i guess i have almost what i need.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,661 Posts
AFAIK, the AEM Y8 was only in the crappy design

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I last used this one i THINK on a b7 head a6 cam, and it appears i had left it in the y8 gear configuration. Set it back to center and worked fine, powerband moved up a few hundred rpm, AND it seems an intermittent code 9 is not longer happening.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
GE also here. I also have a new older 3 bolt AEM gear as back up.

·
Registered
92 cx
934 Posts
I've got a new skunk2 5 bolt cam gear but haven't run it because it only has adjustments for z6 and y8 on it. You think the A6 cam timing marks are the same as Z6 timing marks? With the timing being set properly to make more power I'm pretty sure my car would need a retune with it...Since i have a turbo

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I know the a6/z6 gears should be the same, while the y8/y7 gear has that odd 4.75 degree offset. Pretty sure that if you look up the part number for the 89-95 Civic/crx oem cam gear its all the same.

·
Registered
364 Posts
VMS make pretty good cam gears - $50 on ebay. My brother use it already a year or so and another guy with B18 uses the same brand with no issues.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Old AEM 3 bolts are the way to go. Confirmed correct mechanical timing. And not a flimsy design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts