Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arite so I picked up a 1987 Integra. Its in pretty good shape except for this god awful big end bearing rattle from the crankshaft.

I looked around the junkyard for any replacement engine but havent found any yet. Swapping something else in is too costly for me right now ... so thats not an option, nor do I want to keep anything but a ZC inside.

I have now two options.

1 - Get a replacement crankshaft. However I have no idea whether a crank from any other D series will work. I googled a bit and what Ive found is that the earliest engines have a 22mm front journal where the pulley mounts, but mostly all after those have that at 24mm. If anyone here can tell me about which crankshaft to use, as in from which D engine then Id look around for one. If the difference mentioned above is the only difference .. I shouldnt have much problem looking for the right one. There is an abundance of D16/15 SOHC parts available here.

2 - Grind the crank, put in oversized big ends (and mains) and be done with it. However I need to know the reliability of this option, as ive gotten mixed advices on this issue. Im 99% sure that the crank hasnt been touched before. This car is a daily driver and run 90% time on a light foot so Its not going to be stressed much. No races/track days or anything like that either. The last car I did this on was a turbocharged one and that ones still going strong.

Help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
In circles.LOL
862 Posts
I suggest taking it to a machine shop and having the machinist mic it and see if is worth turning or not.A turned crank is fine for a dd.Hell i ran one in my race car all season without any probs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a zc and i originally had a two piece crank on it but i ended up installing my old crank from my d 15 n is woking finee

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,451 Posts
i have a zc and i originally had a two piece crank on it but i ended up installing my old crank from my d 15 n is woking finee
I call BS!!!!!!

A huge stinking pile of it!!!!!!

D15 crank doesn't work in a D16 block.

Honda cranks are not two piece either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
@transzex

Im in Pakistan. We have an abundant supply of D15 and D16 parts since Civics are one of the most common cars here. I still need to know what other difference would a D16 SOHC crank have compared to this one before I go hunting for a crank. Im sure I can find a D16 crank, not sure if it can fit this engine.

By the way uve heard of a D16A2 ?? :/ ... I cant seem to find any info on it. Yet its almost exactly like the A1.

@zc-e-jay

2 piece Honda D16 cranks ... uhh .. if uve broken a crank in two it doesn't make it a 2-piece crank mate :/

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
if all you can find is a 24mm, you can have it turned to 22 along with giving it that slight cone shape so the pulley is "jammed" on there with the bolt like OEM

EDIT I havent had experience turning it down, its just a thought. I dont think it would cause structural issues. Hopefully others will chime in

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Id rather not risk doing that. Esp. knowing that the machinists here havent probably ever done that before!

Frankly enough for some reason I do not feel like buying another crankshaft, knowing that im buying it from a junkyard and who knows what condition its in. Id have to mount it in the block and check for clearances ... something thats going take a lot of time! Highly doubting if ill find something thats as good as new, esp. the old 22mms ... plus the guy doing the machining and build did one on a D16Z6 using ACL bearings ... that engine ran an year+ on a turbo setup (Turbo out of a SR20DET ... 16-18psi)... and the crank is still good, the block sleeves gave up on that one!

Like your sig says ... Why Swap when you can build what you have :p

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
hmm. 16-18 psi on the factory turbo from a sr20det motor isnt even 300whp, and teh stock sleeves give up the ghost around 450-500 SOMETIMES

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was resleeved as well...

Anywho, with the engine out ... I was treated to some (read = alot) bad news

- Crank already grinded to 100
- Oil pump effed
- Valves need replacing
- Lots of slipped bolts in the block

I got realllllllly lucky though. A Civic 95 with a D15B3 carby was getting a JDM D15B VTEC swap.

I picked the engine from him. It took quite a few minor alterations. Had to drill one bolt for the gear and self to fit. Foundations fit with a couple of brackets made for one bolt each to align for both the side and rear one. Power Steering bracket was a b****, but got it done eventually.

Pretty much everything is done. Got to fit some fuel lines and it should be ready!

It aint bad I guess. The engine is lighter and the car has gained a couple of inches up front. Should be much more economical.

Its a dialy driver so meh. The engine cost me cheaper than what the crank would have cost alone ... so its a win for me!

Will add pictures once its done!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts