Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the diffrences in these two engines? I want a zc engine bad for my crx but there is a d16a1 with lower comp pistons and some head work for 600 bucks for sale localy. Whats the diffrence in swaping them. I know a zc bolts in but does a d16a1? Its from a 88-89 teg. I have the stuff to turbo it to. I just dont want to have to remake engine mounts and get a new tranny. Thanks. Oh and there are some tunertoy rods for cheap to 175 are these good for 15 lbs of boost of so?

·
Registered
white crx with a zc
338 Posts
i payed 1300 for my rex with the swap done (jdm zc) so i dont no if u want a true zc then do it... if $$$ is a prob (it always is) then go a1 thats wut id do if i were me

·
Registered
968 Posts
What is the diffrences in these two engines? I want a zc engine bad for my crx but there is a d16a1 with lower comp pistons and some head work for 600 bucks for sale localy. Whats the diffrence in swaping them. I know a zc bolts in but does a d16a1? Its from a 88-89 teg. I have the stuff to turbo it to. I just dont want to have to remake engine mounts and get a new tranny. Thanks. Oh and there are some tunertoy rods for cheap to 175 are these good for 15 lbs of boost of so?
the D16A1 is a completely different engine than the JDM DOHC ZC, mostly because the 86-89 Integra is built on the 84-87 CRX/Civic chassis platform and not on the 88-91 CRX/Civic platform - it will not bolt into a 88-91 CRX/Civic without fabricating the driver's side mount - the D16A1 has the mount on the front of the engine right under the exhaust manifold, not on the end like ED/EF cars - it will not bolt up properly to the 88-91 CRX/Civic transmission (has a different bolt pattern - you can get some bolts in but not all) - the starter on the 88-91 CRX/Civic has a bolt that goes thru the transmission into the block - the D16A1 has no hole in the block at that location, so you can't get that bolt in and are left with one bolt holding the starter - the 88-89 D16A1 is advertised at 118hp and the ZC is advertised at 128hp

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Here is what a d16a1 swap looks like in a 91 std hatch.

Here is what the custom machined drivers side aluminum mount looks like for the swap.

this entire swap is for sale and it will work in a 88-91 civic/crx.......................

·
Registered
'06 GMC Sierra Crew
170 Posts
Having done the complete A1 swap into an EF, tranny and all, i say it's not worth it. The only reason i did it is that i got (what originally cost) $15K+ worth of race engine/tranny for like $3K.

I dont know how it is around where you're from, but around here there are like a dozen JDM import shops and complete ZCs with trannys go for under $500 bucks. So again, not worth the hassle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts