Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a civic with a d16a1 in it, it's supposedly got some stuff done to it, I have no clue I'm gonna pull the motor so I can fix the obvious problems and find any other unknown issues. I know absolutely nothing about this motor other than its one of the DOHC d series engines and that most of the parts are different than a DOHC ZC.

I know it needs cam gears what all engines can I use the cam gears off of if there is any?

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you're looking for adjustable f22 single cam gears work, but the belt does'nt ride on center without machining.

If stock gears is what your after then d16a1 gears.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any f22 gear? What has to be machined to get the belt to run center? Or will it hurt to jet let them run off to the side?

·
Registered
50 Posts
f22a sohc from 94-97 accord.

The back where it bottoms out on the cam needs a little less then a eighth inch milled off. It has to be milled parallel to the face or it'll wobble.

In my avatar you can see the belt, it rides right on the edge. I've been running that way for 10,000 miles. If that picture is to small I can probably find a larger one.

Also the f22 timing marks are off for the d16a1, so you'd have to use the holes in the cam to set the mechanical timing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless it has aftermarket cams, just use stock cam gears.
It seems like unless I can find some d16a1 cam gears here locally i can get the adjustable ones for about the same price as stock ones, but I do only HAVE to have one stock one because only one is damaged.

Also im just right down the road from you in Greeneville lol

·
Registered
'91 Crx Si
399 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, they (d16a1) were all fuel injected.
There is a carb DOHC Zc out there though, maybe they were referencing that?

·
Registered
114 Posts
My next question is in my short time researching these motors I have seen a couple references to a carbureted version of this engine is that a real thing or were they all fuel injected?
In the US they were all fuel injected. The 86-87 has a vacuum advance distributor, the 88-89 has an electronic advance distributor much like all the 88-91 Civic/CRX/Integra stuff. One small difference being the cam position sensor is divorced and located on the exhaust cam.

The only difference between the 88-89 A1 and the ZC is *ding* those cam gears. The ZC's came with 17t crank/34t cam where the A1 is 20/40. The crank snout might also be a different diameter...I'm not sure on that one. At the time I wanted adjustable cam gears 15 years ago it was not known (by me at least) about the F22 option, so I made my own. At the time, getting a ZC setup pretty much meant buying an entire ZC.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the US they were all fuel injected. The 86-87 has a vacuum advance distributor, the 88-89 has an electronic advance distributor much like all the 88-91 Civic/CRX/Integra stuff. One small difference being the cam position sensor is divorced and located on the exhaust cam.

The only difference between the 88-89 A1 and the ZC is *ding* those cam gears. The ZC's came with 17t crank/34t cam where the A1 is 20/40. The crank snout might also be a different diameter...I'm not sure on that one. At the time I wanted adjustable cam gears 15 years ago it was not known (by me at least) about the F22 option, so I made my own. At the time, getting a ZC setup pretty much meant buying an entire ZC.
Is the ecu needed to run the vacuum advance distributor? If so I will just go msd box because I plan to carb this engine for the shear I want to reason lol.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
if you are going to carb it, you don't need an ECU at all
yes you do.

the ecu runs the gauge cluster

EDIT if its a 88+ civic.

if its 87 or older, it probably doesnt.

what car and year and trim is this civic of yours OP? you havent said

·
Registered
431 Posts