Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New engine, new build, rebuilt cams.

Basically if it starts up, it will have lots of trouble idling. The ICV seems to be in on-off mode, so the engine will rev to 1200 then down to a crazy low number, then back up again, and the cycle continues. It will run just fine until I turn it off. Oh, and if I hold the ICV in place, it will maintain a smooth idle.

But most of the time, either hot or cold, it won't start. I plugged in a timing light to all 4 ignition coils, and the light will light up once at the very very beginning of turning over, then it won't light up again no matter how long i leave the starter motor running, indicating the spark plugs aren't firing (explaining why it won't start). I've switched out the plugs, coils, and dizzy to no avail.

Maybe it's ECU? I get the typical CEL on then off deal at the beginning, and no CEL while the engine is running. anyone got any other ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Are you sure your plug wires are in the right place? I mixed mine up before and the same thing happened.. worth the check at least.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Maybe your valve clearance are off spec? since it's a new build it could be a possibility. One thing though, I don't understand putting timing light on each wires? Maybe you mean spark tool that check sparks?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe your valve clearance are off spec? since it's a new build it could be a possibility. One thing though, I don't understand putting timing light on each wires? Maybe you mean spark tool that check sparks?
Yeah, i was using the timing light as a spark tool. Shining it in my eye versus shining it onto the timing gear. I've tried everything on the flow chart, including checking the wiring on the dizzy. Everything seems OK. I'll triple check again later tonight everyone. Thanks

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
what cams are you running now?
I guess to me it would make the most sense after a rebuild to have the stock cams in for the Initial break in period. cuz if your running a stock program its gonna fight just to keep it running

as far as your no start is it safe to assume you've tested the main relay?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts