Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a D16a1 Engine with zc pistons, zc cams, zc iintake manifold, ported head, balanced bottomend and header. I would like to know if an aluminum damper pulley work well on my engine and not mess it up, because U|I have been told it rattles to much and unbalances the engine.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Clearly you our a bit out of everybody else's league. Sounds like you really know what you're doing to even attempt such an exotic combination of parts (that a new one for me, certainly). I'm considering mating a re-built D15B7 head to a D16A6 block. The ZC stuff is all DOHC, and like I said, off my chart. But I'm learning.

BTW, the appeal of the D16A6 block is, I'm told, that it's the only D16A that had a steel bearing cap assembly. It's supposed to be the best choice for starting out if you want to build a really tough bottom end.

Regarding your question, though: if you're not reving your engine ridiculously high [>6500] (and from your list of ingredients, I suspect you probably are), it really shouldn't matter. By 'aluminum damper pulley' are you referring to just a common underdrive pulley (which are indeed made of aluminum), or are talking about a special part with geniune bona-fide damping action (i.e., that there's also a resilient part in there somewhere that ain't aluminum)?

Common sense suggests that if something rattles around, it's hardly doing a worthy job of damping vibration, is it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
um, the d16a1 and the 'zc' (so many different motors with this designation) share a lot in common, not exotic at all.

if you're referring to a harmonic balancer, imho, not necessary for you. if aluminum crank pulley is your referral, than stay away. will mess up dampening and balance. good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts