Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently installed a jdm d16a into my 91 crx dx with a p28 ecu coverted to obd1. i replaced the timing belt, water pump/tensoiner, spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. it seems to be running a little rich and my gas mileage isnt the best. timing seems to be spot on. also after a little while of driving the engine light comes on and i cant get it to display a code. im thinking that the ecu might be bad. any thoughts?

·
Registered
'95 DX Coupe (Red)
457 Posts
try putting a multi meter on your O2 sensor, see what the ecu is seeing, if the O2 sensor circuit is working fine it will give you a rough idea of whats happening, also check to make sure the SCS (service check something yes technical i know ;) line is connected to ground to get ecu codes... worse comes to worse ground pin D4 on ecu (putting a switch on this is common and usually helpful...) and the cel should blink the ecu error codes... (or hook up a small 12V light to pin A13 and ground this is the CEL line straight from the ecu)

a wideband O2 sensor is a nice thing to have too... also may want to check that vtec system is engaging, check the solenoid is working, check oil pressure switch is working, vss sensor too...

sloopy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
how do i go about testing the O2 sensor. i have a dmm but what voltage should i check for just 12volts?

also the light only comes on after a little while of driving. when i get on it or at higher speeds it comes on. think it could be the O2? its brand new but it was in a junk motor that burned coolant before this swap.

·
Registered
stock sedan
1,460 Posts
o2 sensor is junk, change it or if you are tuning at all go in with a program like crome and use the o2 delete

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there a way i can test it? or is there a way i can fix/clean it? its fairly new and i dont really want to buy a new one if i dont have to.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright so i changed out the o2 sensor for a brand new denso. still runs rich. i get a cel after a little bit of driving and a nice puff of black smoke on accelleration.

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
same thing is happening to mine except im running the p08 ecu. how did you do your cam timing? like the z6, d15z1, or d15b7? i do know the z6 timing marks will put your cam timing wrong.

·
Registered
'95 DX Coupe (Red)
457 Posts
what code is it giving you? depending on code could be several things... and what is telling you its running rich?

to read the O2 sensor with a dvm/dmm figure out which wire is the signal wire on your car:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-management/109747-obd-1-conversion-wiring.html#post1617340

then put the red wire from the dmm on the signal and black on ground, it will read from 0-1 volt.

this will give you a basic idea of how it works:

QUESTIONS

make sure you give the O2 sensor 60-90seconds to warm up and give a good reading...

sloopy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think the timing is good. i can double check it tomorrow. it idles good. i know its running rich because im not getting good gas mileage (like 150miles a tank) and i get a black puff when accelerating hard.

·
Registered
'95 DX Coupe (Red)
457 Posts
if your timing is spot on, and everything is working right then you are probly using the wrong bin for your ecu, changing timing etc to fix bin problems isnt gonna work... is the engine with or without vtec? best thing to do is put a wideband o2 sensor on it and tune it properly, next best would be, find a bin that is decently matched for your engine.... on my D16Y5 i run a stock P06 bin with vtec enabled (engages at 3500) and it runs fine, 14.7 at idle and goes to about [email protected] rpm...

sloopy.

·
Registered
'95 DX Coupe (Red)
457 Posts
if physical timing (i.e turning the dist back and fro) is off then ignition timing (adjusted by the ecu) will be off, by how many ever degrees the dist is off...

if by physical timing you mean cam timing, then they are two seperate things, but somewhat related, in order to have cam timing off the cam would have to be pretty far off in the advance of where it should be, and producing not much power, and very little torque...

finding out a) what bin you are running b) what codes its throwing would be a start in figureing out whats wrong...

it is not outside the realm of possiblity that you maf sensor is flakey and the ecu is throwing a code for it, and making the engine run rich, this is just one 'possibility' out of many. getting the codes, figuring out what bin, and getting the ecu codes are the main things to do now...

sloopy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ive tried getting the code but i cant get it to show what code it is. no flashes or anything and when i shut the car off the cel is off.

·
Registered
'95 DX Coupe (Red)
457 Posts
you need to jumper the scs, turn the ignition on, but dont start the car to get it to give up the codes... if it doesnt give the codes then maybe the bin is flakey or something...

sloopy.

·
Registered
'95 DX Coupe (Red)
457 Posts
a bin is the binary that is written to the eeprom in your ecu... if you dont have an eeprom in the ecu then you are running the stock program that is built in...

sloopy.

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
already asked you once, how did you set your cam timing? my d16a vtec is not the same as a d16z6... so yours might be off. if the car is not on and the key is in the acc position and it wont flash, but a solid cel, the ecu is probably bad.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts