Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a motor for my ek and already have a Y8 head built. I still have the stock Y8 in the car and plan on buying a block to build soon to mate with the built head and make the swap all at once. I was wondering what the difference is in the block (block itself, crank, cylinder etc) between the Y8 and Y7. I already have parts (pistons/rods) purchased for a Y8 but a Y7 block is so much cheaper. I know this is a classic noob post but I really need the help because I dont want to end up doing the build wrong over 200-300 dollars that I would save with the Y7. Thanks

·
Banned
752 Posts
I believe the only difference is that the y8 has a knock sensor, but then again, I am just talking out of my ass. Free bump for your question though.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Umm Ther both have the same bore(75) same stroke(90) Heads have the same combustion chamber volume(32.8) The y7 pistons (p2E) have a dish of 3.30 mm. The y8 pistons have a dish of 2.8mm. Smae dech height and rod strock ration. Everything in the block should be intercheangable. Good luck

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
y7 and y8 are identical blocks, the pistons are different and the y8 has a knock sensor but the y7 is tapped for a knock sensor so one can be added.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Umm Ther both have the same bore(75) same stroke(90) Heads have the same combustion chamber volume(32.8 ) The y7 pistons (p2E) have a dish of 3.30 mm. The y8 pistons have a dish of 2.8mm. Smae dech height and rod strock ration. Everything in the block should be intercheangable. Good luck
wrong..!

the Y7 head combustion chamber is the same as that of the Z6. This means it is 34.6cc.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
i thought the Y8 is a vtec head and the Y7 is non vtec.
y8/y7 blocks, not heads... the blocks are the same the heads are different...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help so I guess I can save the money and build a y7 block (of course I might not save that much if I have to buy another knock sensor)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
yup info posted here is correct. i have both blocks, they are identical, and y7 block is tapped for knock sensor(i did a y8 mini me a while back before boosting)

build the y7 block if you already have it. also, if your final build you convert to an obd1 ecu you wont need a knock sensor..but to pass inspections you'll need to run obd2 which will require it. i run a chipped obd1 p28 daily, and switch to a obd2 p2p with a VAFC just to pass inspections for the day.
just food for thought

-Luke

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
No you are wrong bro. Look at the compression calculator at

http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/dcalc.htm The compustion chamers are the same on the y7/y8. AHH victory, i think.

Oh ye of little faith. Any chance that the compression calculator may be wrong....? http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40551

And just to compound this victory, take a look here.... http://www.theoldone.com/components/pistons/index.html Scroll down to the fifth list, whcih says D16Y7, and if you look below that it has a little number, of the combustion chamber volume.. i do believe it says 34.6cc...?

ahhhh, the sweet smell of success in the morning... ;)

But anyway, it wasnt about that, its about blocks..! But i still flet i needed that one this morning!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Alright, you are the king, so the z6 and y7 have the same combustion chambers. +rep for that. HOws your build coming along i heard you were gonna use the bisi street cam with smsp header.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
yup info posted here is correct. i have both blocks, they are identical, and y7 block is tapped for knock sensor(i did a y8 mini me a while back before boosting)

build the y7 block if you already have it. also, if your final build you convert to an obd1 ecu you wont need a knock sensor..but to pass inspections you'll need to run obd2 which will require it. i run a chipped obd1 p28 daily, and switch to a obd2 p2p with a VAFC just to pass inspections for the day.
just food for thought

-Luke
i was gonna ask about doing that when i finally got my mini-me done. i'll pm you when i do this if i have any questions about it.

oh and yeah like everyone said the block is the same, some of the other parts like the oil pan, head, and a few other things are different.

·
Registered
598 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts