Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Civic 4dr
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a d16y8 turbo garrett gt32 50a/r 48 exh, freshly built 75.5mm vitara fjt block, the head has supertech valves and valve train, skunk 2 stage 1 camshaft and a stock cam gear .

I got my car tuned yesterday and the tuner said he cant tune it higher then 10 pounds because my vtec wasn't working. On the dyno graph it showed it pulling till 6000rpm ish and then it plateaued until red line .

I did some testes and the vtec is engaging .

Im really frustrated and i dont know where to turn .

Im just wondering if it could be the camshaft im running or something else, any information is greatly appreciated .

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
i'm not the spelling police but it's plateaued lol I had to read that one like 3 times.

have you ran this cam before the tune? or did you do everything at once? Turbo or non turbo doesn't matter if the vtec will engage. Was it up to temp? Enough oil? oil pressure good?

So it's engaging now but it wouldn't for the tuner, is that what i'm gathering?

·
Registered
2000 Civic 4dr
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only had this problem after the engine build .
oil pressure is good .
this is my first time running this cam.
I had an open dump pipe and now i have it running back into the down pipe and the same thing is happening.
Could it be a bad BOV or something is just not engaging in the head ??

·
Registered
2000 Civic 4dr
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
When i put a test light on the vtec solenoid and rev it when it its 5000rpm the light goes on, and as well when i manually send power to the vtec solenoid you can here it click.
it just doesnt make anymore power passed 6000ish RPM, it flat lines till red line.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
When i put a test light on the vtec solenoid and rev it when it its 5000rpm the light goes on, and as well when i manually send power to the vtec solenoid you can here it click.
it just doesnt make anymore power passed 6000ish RPM, it flat lines till red line.
Does it hold 10lbs of boost until redline? My engine is doing the same thing with a y8 head and t28 hybrid. At 6000rpm I have 190hp and it holds dead level at 190hp all the way to 7500. If I disconect the vtec it doesn't even make 130hp at 6000rpm. I believe my problem is in my cam timing.

·
Registered
2000 Civic 4dr
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I thought it was the timing to i had an adjustable cam gear on it before and i switch to the stock cam gear and the sam thing is happening .
It holds 10 psi till red line, the car runs good and it feels strong.
It dynoed 221 whp at 10psi
And im running a Go Autoworks equal length it looks like if it pulled till red line i wouldve gained another 20 to 40 extra whp
Let me know if you figure out what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Civic 4dr
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You think the cam would have anything to do with it ??
im running a skunk2 stage 1 n/a camshaft.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I have a d16y8 turbo garrett gt32 50a/r 48 exh, freshly built 75.5mm vitara fjt block, the head has supertech valves and valve train, skunk 2 stage 1 camshaft and a stock cam gear .

I got my car tuned yesterday and the tuner said he cant tune it higher then 10 pounds because my vtec wasn't working. On the dyno graph it showed it pulling till 6000rpm ish and then it plateaued until red line .

I did some testes and the vtec is engaging .

Im really frustrated and i dont know where to turn .

Im just wondering if it could be the camshaft im running or something else, any information is greatly appreciated .
Im failing to see why it would matter? On a non vtec car they is he going to tell you he cant tune higher then 10 because the car doesnt have vtec?
Also you said vtec works for you? Make a vtec light and drive the car and see if vtec kicks in while in boost.

Now on the flat lining. First what is your wastegate set to?
If your wastegate is set to 10psi and your pushing ten then shouldnt it flat line?

Also post a dyno graph that would help us

·
Registered
50 Posts
it seems to be the N/A cam...
i am not sure but i think it has something to do with the overlap

get a turbo cam ...

or try the stock cam ....it should take long to swap out..

·
Registered
73 Posts
it seems to be the N/A cam...
i am not sure but i think it has something to do with the overlap

get a turbo cam ...

or try the stock cam ....it should take long to swap out..
I'm gonna go with what this guy said. Do you have the stock cam available?

·
Registered
2000 Civic 4dr
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I am changing the cam today with a stock one, hoping it'll fix the issue.
Im looking for 320 to 340whp when im done what turbo cam do you think will be the best ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts