Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys.

I wonder if you can help.

I've done a lot of searching/researching. Founds lots of information on turboing a d16. But as always, as a newbie in the field of D16, have some questions.

The D16 is in a kit car. And donor car was a Rover 216 GTI. Here is a picture of the car. It's the blue one with the D16.

I own the black one with a Rover T16 turbo engine. And have a T28 from a pulsar going on it. So I have the T25 as a spare. So looking at using this on the D16.

The guy with the D16 has some engineering facilitys. Not sure how much can be done though.

So at worst, exhaust manafold, downpipe.

I did the electrics on the D16 so know them quite well! I've seen lots of post's about going aftermarket for the ECU. At the minute, just looking at a bolt on turbo upgrade and keeping at a low boost for now. Not sure how much boost is low. 8PSI??? But for now, can the stand ECU cope with this setup, or do you have to upgrade from the off?

Also as the car is mid engined, going the chargecooler route.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
I did the electrics on the D16 so know them quite well! I've seen lots of post's about going aftermarket for the ECU. At the minute, just looking at a bolt on turbo upgrade and keeping at a low boost for now. Not sure how much boost is low. 8PSI??? But for now, can the stand ECU cope with this setup, or do you have to upgrade from the off?

Also as the car is mid engined, going the chargecooler route.
Very cool looking cars! Kind of like the current Lotus', but not. More pics would be sweet!

An intercooler (chargecooler) is a must, if you want to get the most out of your setup.. As soon as you boost the engine, you are going to need some way of adding fuel, so the motor doesn't go lean. PSI really doesn't matter, since a bigturbo vs. a small turbo can have the same PSI, but the bigger one will be flowing more CFMs. A stock D16 will hold at least 200 WHP with a good tune.

You can use your current ECU most likely. You will just need to chip it and get a program to edit and adjust your fuel and ignition tables. There are plenty of options available. What OBD generation ECU are you using? As far as getting the car tuned in the UK, the two guys who already posted here should be able to hook you up with everything you need. They both know what they are talking about. (and have a couple of pretty fast d-series).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nice looking cars. You would eventually have to chip your stock ecu to get better performance out of it and better mpg. also safer for your enigne.

·
Registered
606 Posts
well the rover 216 GTi 89-96 is a D16A9 so it going to be OBD-0 unless you've chaged ECU's?

if you get an P28 form an EG5 civic and a conversion harness form OBD-0 to OBD-1 i know a few companies/enthuiasts that will chip and tune it. unfortunatly im not aware of anyone in the UK chipping and tuning OBD-0 ECU's but i could be wrong.

where are you based?

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Very cool looking cars! Kind of like the current Lotus', but not. More pics would be sweet!

An intercooler (chargecooler) is a must, if you want to get the most out of your setup.. As soon as you boost the engine, you are going to need some way of adding fuel, so the motor doesn't go lean. PSI really doesn't matter, since a bigturbo vs. a small turbo can have the same PSI, but the bigger one will be flowing more CFMs. A stock D16 will hold at least 200 WHP with a good tune.

You can use your current ECU most likely. You will just need to chip it and get a program to edit and adjust your fuel and ignition tables. There are plenty of options available. What OBD generation ECU are you using? As far as getting the car tuned in the UK, the two guys who already posted here should be able to hook you up with everything you need. They both know what they are talking about. (and have a couple of pretty fast d-series).
i have nothing to add, he took the words out of my mouth :bigok:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

Thanks for your replies.

The kit car is a Marlin 5EXI. Weighs 720 KG. So don't hang about.

Still running standard Rover ECU that came with the car. Any idea of chip pricing? Are they easy to fit to the obd-0's?

Also, is there anybody that does the manifold and downpipe with a T2 flange? Can't seem to find any in the UK.

We are both based in Essex.

I'll have a chat with Ricky at some point to discuss the options.:-D

Only have some pictures of mine (T16 engined) at the monent.

·
Registered
606 Posts
as i said i dont think there is anyone in the UK that chips OBD-0 ECU's, it's hard enough finding anyone that chips OBD-1 ECU's.

i think your only viable option is to convert it to OBD-1 and get it chipped that way. all you should need is the ECU from the 92-95 civic ESi P28 and a conversion harness. or as said talk to xenocron and have a pre chipped P28 sent to you which will run the car good enough to get to the dyno. it's were i got my ECU from that turns up today :)

chipping ranges from £265 - £400 for crome and £650+ for hondata S300 (these are prices for OBD-1)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Nah you buy the shell and body work, probably some of the running gear from the company who make the kit car.Then you go to the scrappers,get a donor car and switch the engine/running gear over.

Anyhoo....http://board.hondacrx.co.uk/phpbb2/index.php I'm sure people on there chip and tune OBD0 ecu's as the majority of the CRX's on there are pre-92 ones.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
link to where to buy those kit cars? they look fun!! i wonder what the regulations are on getting that road legal in the U.S. i know there is a different set of rules for "kit cars" than there is for importing standard euro production cars.

-Luke

·
My 91 Crx Hf
2,164 Posts
Its easy to have a kit car, just insurance is the biggest thing. And if its built on a frame from another car you can insure it/license it as that type of car. My friend and his dad did it with a old vw bug which is now a street legal sand rail.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.