Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a d16y7 with approx. 60k on it with a greddy td40h turbo 7psi internal wastegate ,greddy intercooler,greddy types bov,msd cap n wires,into test pipe and 2.25 magnaflow catback running base tune on greddy emanage .everything else is stock as a rock down to injectors and fuel pump..i just got the car a week ago changed oil n filter and im looking for more power thinking manual boost controller and y8 intake manifold or skunk2 intake manifold and sk2 tbody...any tips and or advice on where to go next for more power is greatly appreciated.. save the :trysearch:: cuz I have and that's what lead me here ,where the dseries gurus are said to be

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
If you want to up the boost, ditch the emanage for a full ems system. You will have greater control, and added control that the emanage doesn't have.

But, that turbo is good for a bit more power, so upgrade your map sensor (don't expect the oem one to be reliable above 9psi, upgrade your fuel pump, and injectors.

Dyno or street tune time is highly advised.

Not much else extra will be needed.

A lot of ems solutions allow built in boost controller features as well, saving some steps.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
if you are running the stock Y7 manifold get rid of it. I heard the Z6 manifold is better than Y8 for boost cause the y8 has one intake runner that is uneven in length.

you can run up to 11 psi on a stock map, im running 10psi and all is well

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
if you are running the stock Y7 manifold get rid of it. I heard the Z6 manifold is better than Y8 for boost cause the y8 has one intake runner that is uneven in length.

you can run up to 11 psi on a stock map, im running 10psi and all is well
Food for thought:
My friends fully build setup melted a hole in a piston becsuse the map sensor stopped sensing boost above 9.7psi, boost cut was set at 10psi.... never kicked in.

Took 1.5 sec for $$$$$$ to go right down the drain.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a greddy emanage blue that the guy who sold me the car included he said if I swapped it in for the emanage I can tune with it .I know doing the obd1 swap n running an s300 would be ideal but would prefer to use wat I have to save $. 255lph fuel pump asap and lookin at the z6 im .thanks for the advice

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
I'm amazed it hasn't blown up from how lean those stock 190cc injectors have to be keeping it :eek:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fuel pump
Injectors
EMS & tune
Y8 intake manifold (get an auto y8 IM and bolt your y7 TB to it flipping the rotor and use a spring from a B series) I have an extra, pm me if you want it.
x2. Couldnt have said it better. If you want more, be prepared for this. Plain and simple, easiest way to get there

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright ordering walbro 255lph .havent decided on brand or sz of injectors?? so y8 from an auto is the way togo or would skunk2 mani and tb be worth the gains? Im going to do some more reading to find which tuning setup is going to be best bang for the buck(not cheapest) .

·
Registered
347 Posts
Do some research. There is a LOT of info on this site.

A walbro 255 should be just fine, you can get it and install it right away without doing anything else.

Going to a skunk 2 manifold and TB you are going to have to rework some of the wiring. Converting the IACV from the 3 wire to a 2 wire. Many people have done it if you go this route, but its just one more thing to worry about when converting from a y7 to a y8/z6/skunk2 UNLESS you get a intake manifold from an auto then you just bolt your 3 wire IACV equipped TB directly to it.

The way the y7 throttle body is oriented on that crap ass y7 manifold is ass backwards.
When you bolt it to a y8/z6 manifold on the side it changes where the throttle cable connects, so you need to flip the rotor and then get the correct spring that puts tension the other way around, just like a y8 tb spring or a B series spring. There are plenty of write ups explaining exactly how to do it... on this very forum to be exact.

I would go with something like a Injector dynamics or Grams if you can afford them, in the 550cc range should do you just fine.

I would also recommend getting together with your tuner and talk about what software they are comfortable tuning on. That would be your best bet.

Im sure im missing or forgetting something, just some of my experience from when I was going thru the same things with my y7 build.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do some research. There is a LOT of info on this site.

A walbro 255 should be just fine, you can get it and install it right away without doing anything else.

Going to a skunk 2 manifold and TB you are going to have to rework some of the wiring. Converting the IACV from the 3 wire to a 2 wire. Many people have done it if you go this route, but its just one more thing to worry about when converting from a y7 to a y8/z6/skunk2 UNLESS you get a intake manifold from an auto then you just bolt your 3 wire IACV equipped TB directly to it.

The way the y7 throttle body is oriented on that crap ass y7 manifold is ass backwards.
When you bolt it to a y8/z6 manifold on the side it changes where the throttle cable connects, so you need to flip the rotor and then get the correct spring that puts tension the other way around, just like a y8 tb spring or a B series spring. There are plenty of write ups explaining exactly how to do it... on this very forum to be exact. Thanks I appreciate the insight since youv travelled the path im just starting on, im gona just go y8 im , the tb placement is gona require me to cut and fab a new intercooler to match the y8...

I would go with something like a Injector dynamics or Grams if you can afford them, in the 550cc range should do you just fine.

I would also recommend getting together with your tuner and talk about what software they are comfortable tuning on. That would be your best bet.

Im sure im missing or forgetting something, just some of my experience from when I was going thru the same things with my y7 build.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another question re this setup.. iv researched allover and cant seem to find a definite answer re manual boost control forvmy setup? Internally wastegatedvgreddy td04h? Anyone that can point me in the direction if I can use a boost controller to up the boost a biton this tiny turbo ...which im wanting to do .after my fuel sys upgrades .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts