Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m building a y7 head and looking at different cam options. I measured the lobe lift on the y7 cam itself and got .174” lift exhaust and .208” lift on the intake. I’m thinking of swapping either a z6 or y8 cam and rocker arm assembly then locking vtec to get extra lift. Does anyone know the rocker arm ratios of the different d16’s? Mainly looking for z6,y8,y7. I can measure the y7 later if I need to. I have a homemade flow bench that won’t really tell me any exact numbers, like CFM but I can compare my head and different lift to see what flows better. So long story short I would like the rocker arm ratios to compare the flow at different lifts before I go and buy a cam and rocker assembly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
D16 rocker arm ratios???

I went to the junk yard and measured the Y8 and Z6 rockers both has 1.6:1 intake and 1.8:1 exhaust. The same goes for the Y7. In case anyone is looking later on.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
He did say vtec cam too
doesnt matter, he cannot run vtec stuff inside a nonvtec head.

you can however, run nonvtec d16y7 guts in a d16y8 head

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
If you can put y7 guts in a y8 why can't it go the other way? That's what I have in my car now. The stock vtec cam is way better than a y7 regrind.
Ask yourself, what does the vtec system rely on for function?

What is missing on the back of the d16y7 cylinder head that the d16y8 has?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
That's why you lock vtec.
Locking function with pins will not solve the vtec valvetrains' additional oil requirements.

Y7 valvetrain in a Y8 head works because it does not need the extra oil, and simply needs the vtec solenoid ports blocked off behind the head.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Locking function with pins will not solve the vtec valvetrains' additional oil requirements.

Y7 valvetrain in a Y8 head works because it does not need the extra oil, and simply needs the vtec solenoid ports blocked off behind the head.
Fair enough. I really won't know till I have to pull the cam for whatever reason. I used the Y7 rocker shafts but had second thoughts about them since the ports aren't centered on the rockers on the intake side. Cheers.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
experimentation and trail/error is the only way we learn.

How else did people back in the day discover all the nifty swap tricks?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts