Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post hope you are ready for terrible punctuation

I’m have a list of parts I need help and criticism also I’m building a boosted engine for another project so I’m not trying to hear just boost it or swap not interested also as far as budget goes not really a problem I’m not rich but I make good money

1995 del sol si

Exhaust
Pro tuning labs 4-1 stainless header
Test Pipe
Custom 2.5” Stainless Pipe
Muffler ?
Z6 Block
PG6 Pistons
Y8 2 Layer Head Gasket
Kings Bearings
Speedfactory H Beam Rods
Solid Engine And Tranny Mounts
8.5 LBS EFT Flywheel
Clutch?
Z6 Head
Port And Polish Exhaust
Port Match Intake
ZEX 59300
BC Valve Springs
Titanium Retainers
Non-Adjustable Cam Gears
60MM Skunk2 Ultra Series Intake Manifold
Skunk2 Pro Series Billet Throttle Body
Password JDM Dry Carbon Kevlar Power Chamber Intake

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,942 Posts
I used a magnaflow stainless oval muffler for my CRX with a 2.5” stainless tubing kit from VRF exhaust. I also used the largest vibrant stainless steel resonator I could find. In my personal opinion, I think a big resonator in conjunction with the largest traditional-style (ie, not a straight through) performance muffler is the key to an exhaust that flows well but doesn’t sound like dog shit. I’d also strongly suggest that you integrate a flex pipe between the header and test pipe. This will help prevent your exhaust welds from cracking down the road, especially with solid mounts.

Normally I’d say to forego the lightweight flywheel but I suppose for NA you want to try to squeeze as much power as you can. For clutch, I’d strongly suggest an action clutch through site sponsor Whoopee Doo Racing. Member Aquafina (Chris) is a great guy and I’ve been very pleased with their 1MS clutch that I’m running.

In regards to port matching the intake manifold, be sure that the intake manifold ports are still slightly smaller than the intake ports on the head. They shouldn’t be exactly the same size.

If it were me, I’d ditch the carbon fiber intake and go with a CAI. The CAI is likely cheaper and has been proven to be the best in terms of HP gains. You could use the money you save to get an adjustable cam gear. Again, since this is NA, you want to squeeze all the power you can out of it and being able to adjust the cam gear means that you can shift the power band slightly which could make a noticeable difference on the dyno.

Also, if you plan on milling the head a significant amount to up your CR, an adjustable cam gear will allow you to accommodate the reduced head height.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used a magnaflow stainless oval muffler for my CRX with a 2.5” stainless tubing kit from VRF exhaust. I also used the largest vibrant stainless steel resonator I could find. In my personal opinion, I think a big resonator in conjunction with the largest traditional-style (ie, not a straight through) performance muffler is the key to an exhaust that flows well but doesn’t sound like dog shit. I’d also strongly suggest that you integrate a flex pipe between the header and test pipe. This will help prevent your exhaust welds from cracking down the road, especially with solid mounts.

Normally I’d say to forego the lightweight flywheel but I suppose for NA you want to try to squeeze as much power as you can. For clutch, I’d strongly suggest an action clutch through site sponsor Whoopee Doo Racing. Member Aquafina (Chris) is a great guy and I’ve been very pleased with their 1MS clutch that I’m running.

In regards to port matching the intake manifold, be sure that the intake manifold ports are still slightly smaller than the intake ports on the head. They shouldn’t be exactly the same size.

If it were me, I’d ditch the carbon fiber intake, go with a CAI, and use the money you save to get an adjustable cam gear. Again, since this is NA, you want to squeeze all the power you can out of it and being able to adjust the cam gear means that you can shift the power band slightly which could make a noticeable difference on the dyno.

Also, if you plan on milling the head a significant amount to up your CR, an adjustable cam gear will allow you to accommodate the reduced head height.

Thank you I do want a muffler like you said I want to make her sound good not like crap

I also thought adjustable cam gears were more for Dohc but I guess I was wrong who makes a reliable one

Only reason for that intake is because I have it already

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,942 Posts
An adjustable cam gear for a SOHC is less useful than a dual cam setup but it allows you to shift the power band. Definitely not an absolute necessity (unless you’re milling the head a significant amount to raise CR) but it provides a little extra tunability on the dyno. I saved this a while back which was posted by an OG member here named Danz/FarmerD.

Gotcha on the intake. Definitely run what you already have!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts