Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front side of my valve cover just above my turbo manifold steadily leaks oil after drives where I get above vacuum, never seems to fail. I've tried a plethora of VC gaskets, from Honda to generic garbo from your typical supply houses. Even used high temp sealant at the corners of it on several, but still get leaks.

This has been a long standing issue with my car ever since I boosted it, I'm guessing I've still got too much crankcase pressure despite the fact I've got a breather on the VC and a length of hose at the top of the black box that's strapped over to a side with a breather on it at as well.

Do I need to have another port added to my VC and run an actual catch can setup or is there something that I'm missing? I'm on stock internals and running about 13psi through a fairly small turbo. I don't think the head/valve cover connection is warped anywhere because this never happened prior to the turbo going on. I'm about at my wits end with this, so if anyone has any words of wisdom I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks, and happy holidays.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Valve cover could be warped. You sure everything is torqued down good?

Show us a picture of your breather set up. You might not be venting enough pressure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've gone as tight as I can go without breaking VC bolts. I know this because I actually snapped one off and had to back it out and that was a painful ordeal.

As for photos, once I get home from family event I can do that. But envision one of your typical small K&N breathers you'd find on practically any Honda motor VC breather port and that would be what I have on my VC, in addition to one + a 6" length of hose off the black box. Of course with that said, those filters COULD be clogged and need to be replaced.. That is something that hasn't crossed my mind.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
When mines leak it was do the catch can setup.
I added 10an fitting to the valve cover and it stop.

If its only leaking during boosted days then its to much pressure.
I would wager that using that tiny port in the VC is not venting enough pressure.

Hrmph I don't have pictures of my previous catch can set up readily available. I was only making about 180 - 200 whp ... I could easily stick my thumb in the fitting that fed the catch can. I only ever had a leak when I somehow managed to get a deformed gasket ... and I was not kind to it.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
my old coupe leaked under boost too, I found buying allthread and then cutting it into studs and using nuts on studs instead of the shitty d16z6 bolts let me crank down really hard and finally sealed it up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts