Honda D Series Forum banner

D16 head on d17 block works!!

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  robgoof 
#1 ·
Hey guys I researched and found alot of controversy on this topic people not including full writeups and so forth and calling bs saying it cant be done or he/she is a liar cause of lack of proof but im here to say it can be done! And is pretty straight forward too.

1st. You gotta block your oil drains on the d16 head I used aluminium foil and silicone will it hold up and not melt? I hope so lol
2nd. Optional - drill new holes for your return or just one singular but not straight down!! You will hit the water jacket or the exhaust exit must be from the side and use a hardline with a 90 degree bend in it or a 90 degree fitting and tap into the oil pan
3rd. build a bracket for the alternator or use the one off the d17 block and extend the pigtails which is what I did but if you do this you will loose power steering. Not a big issue if you have at least a little upper body strength
4th. use a adjustable timing gear for z6 cam or use a y8 cam and gear it works FLAWLESSLY
5th. Use the d17 valve cover for the dipstick tube.

I think that about covers it. If you have any questions just ask!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Lol everybody always calling bullshit on here I do need to post some pics and I do agree its probably not the smartest move but I figure theres no vaccum in the valve cover so it shouldnt suck it out but if tge silicone melts it'll allow oil to seep through im currently in bed but I will post pics and vid tomorrow.

#9 ·
Yeah eg actually. And no I didnt have the money to actually get the correct silicone didnt have any money at all actually made do with what i had laying around. It was the gray permatex and i figured foil because it doesnt melt ive had aluminium foil in the oven a many of times at 450 degrees and its still like it was when I put in so I thought id try it. The smartest thing would have been to use devcon but there again I have zero dollars to my name soo yeah lol

And good note on the motor mount! The mounts on that side are a little different per motor if I would have used the mount for the d16 the alternator wouldnt bolt up so I just cut slots in the old mount used thread lock and a bigger washer. No movement so far.

#11 ·
If it's really silicone, temperature won't be an issue, so it shouldn't melt. It might flow, though, and the alu won't then stay in place.

If it works - brilliant! (I like a ghetto fix.) If not, consider tapping the hole and fitting a grub screw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.