Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
eg
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i did a full rebuild on my z6 and apon start up it knocks really bad.. so i shut it off imediatly..im looking for help here..here is a list of what was done.

75.5 wiseco 8.5:1
scat rods
kms oil pump
kms valves,springs,retainers
obx st 1 cam
cc stage 4 clutch
9lb fly
new water pump, timing belt,gaskets bla bla
full machine work balancing,milled block an head .022 total
3 angle
obx lsd with proper shim an bolt kit

i used assmebly lube on everything. plus i used conventinal oil with lucas break in zinc additive for proper seating..i feel like it cant be the motor cause i spun it over so many times on the engine stand..i even clayed for p2v clearance an it was money.. throught out the entire build process the only thing weird was i used arp flywheel an pressure plate bolts an they were both longer than stock..the flywheel bolts i had to use a washer roughly 3/16 inch thick..but there apeared to be clearance.an the pressure plate bolts were about 1/4 longer..both fly an press bolts were longer..i just figured being arp they would know what there doing..has anyone used the arp fly or pressure plate bolts on there d16 and had problems..i could really use some help and this site seems to know whats up...

·
Registered
eg
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it doesnt crank with clutch depressed..and i didnt check for oil pressure. but i did crank it a bunch of times with no distributor..and it knocked upon very first crank an never got better...the knock is def coming from the bottom, more towards the tranny side..

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Horrid camera phone vid, but the sound is good. Notice how it sounds upon start-up...don't be afraid, the "knock" sound should clear up after a few seconds.

·
Registered
685 Posts
everything was torqued down to spec?

what was your p2w clearance?

forged pistons without proper p2w clearance can make a "knocking" noise when idling till it warms up.

·
Registered
eg
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes everything was torgued to spec...im not sure exactly what the p2v clear was..i filled up each valve pocket a good 1/4 to 3/8 thick...and not one pocket got touched by any of the valves...so after doing that 3 times continually adding more playdoh on the pistons i determined i had plenty of clearance...i havent let it run for more than a split second..i got scared and shut it off...

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
One time I put the backup sensor washer on the shift interlock guide bolt. It made the perfect engine knock sound as it clanked on the clutch pressure plate. You didn't do that by chance did you? Rotate the engine by hand very very slowly and feel for any resistance.

edit: just watched the vid. That thing sounds very tight! It also seems to struggle to fire. Too much fuel or maybe spark knock/detonation from a bad initial tune? Hmm that's an odd one although it does sound like rod knock. Maybe even a wrist pin. Forget a c clip anywhere?

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
Bud Light and I left one pressure plate bolt loose and it was hitting the tranny case. Take the starter out. Have someone turn the engine over by hand (wrench, socket, ratchet). Listen for the scrape. Take the plugs out to make it easier. Let me know if that is it.

·
Registered
eg
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to be honest i dont know exactly where the backup sensor is located nor did i take a washer off it..and is the shift interlock the fork thing that puts pressure on the clutch?if so yes its on correctly..since its been in my car i havent rotated it by hand..but when it was on the stand, fully assembled i rotated it prob 20 times..it always felt tight yet rotated smooth..but being my first build i didnt have much to gauge it, i felt as though all new bearings everything spins tight?this sucks...i feel as though i took every precaution i could and had all machine work done too..that costed about 900..I have about 4300 into the build itself..and i have a terrible knock...

·
Registered
eg
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh yea i have a hard time turning it over by the crank bolt..is that normal?

·
Registered
685 Posts
oh yea i have a hard time turning it over by the crank bolt..is that normal?
do you still have the spark plugs in? if so remove those and try to crank it.

also not P2V. P2W = piston to wall clearance. if it's to loose or tight then it will make knocking noise.

you're pistons should had came with a spec sheet saying what p2w it needs. rest depends on the machinist who did your block

·
Registered
206 Posts
it doesnt crank with clutch depressed..and i didnt check for oil pressure. but i did crank it a bunch of times with no distributor..and it knocked upon very first crank an never got better...the knock is def coming from the bottom, more towards the tranny side..
do yourself a favor, have someone crank the car while you stand outside and listen for the knock to see if its the trans. With the way you talked about the ARP bolts, I would look into that first, IF you can tell thats where its coming from. Ive rebuilt a few motors and nothing have been like on that video.

·
Premium Member
92 civic cx hatch
1,012 Posts
I had a similar issue were the allen bolt onside my tranny clutch housing had an extra washer on it and was rubbing on my clutchs pressure plate rivits. Sounds like something similar

·
Registered
206 Posts
now that i think about it, i remember having something similar to this. The clutch was knocking on the inside of the trans housing.

Like, theidealone said, stock flywheel bolts are fine.

·
Registered
eg
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here is the problem...the local machine shop also balances the clutch..so he welds on an takes off metal as needed an that was hiting on the inside tranny area...i sanded both spots on the tranny where it was hitting..

Attachments

·
Registered
eg
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh yea the motor now spins freely too...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts