Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am researching swapping in a more modern D16 engine into my 87 CRX Si and turbocharging it. Currently running the stock D15A3, with a paltry 91 HP, I'd like to one day double that to around maybe 180 horsepower, not sure which variant of D16 I should use, I think I'd like to go no more than an OBD1 variant engine and possibly use a TD04 turbo off a WRX.... Mind you I've got to keep packaging rather compact, I'd like to keep turbo lag to a minimum.

Thoughts????

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
A d16 will work.
Obd1 z6
Or obd2 y7 or y8. (People say they are know for spin rod bearings but others have no problem with them.

But convert your car to obd1 with a kit.
As far as turbo goes.
You dont have a lot of space under the hood so hopefully you can do some fab work to get everything to fit in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A d16 will work.
Obd1 z6
Or obd2 y7 or y8. (People say they are know for spin rod bearings but others have no problem with them.

But convert your car to obd1 with a kit.
As far as turbo goes.
You dont have a lot of space under the hood so hopefully you can do some fab work to get everything to fit in there.
So a D16Z6 will most likely be the best route to go, meaning less work...

Anyways I know there isn't a heck of a lot of room, I'm considering changing radiators to something thicker but more narrow, to make space for turbo plumbing, I'll likely use a cast log manifold to create room, it's all in the packaging, I'm getting a lot of inspiration from a project called "Project Binky" on youtube, where they stuff the engine, transmission, AWD, etc... from a Toyota Celica 2 liter turbo AWD into an Austin Mini. I assume the route I'm going is going to be significantly easier.

·
Registered
50 Posts
D16a1 and cg trans from a first gen integra.

Basically find a donor integra and get four wheel disc out of it also.

I think d15a3 trans have a different bell housing bolt pattern than later d series like z6 y7/y8.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts