Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to get some opinions on my options. I will be building up my EF for a local racing series, and the rules say I have to use a stock-type flywheel, but I can do whatever I want with it. The engine will only have bolt-on mods. There is a company selling lightweight steel flywheels on eBay that are around 10 pounds, but otherwise I’d have to modify a stock flywheel. Should I get one of the new flywheels that are built lightweight, or would I be better off having my stock one machined down?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,512 Posts
Cheaper to buy one. I got a steel flywheel at 10.5 lbs for rather cheap years ago, but never used it. It will go in the autox car when I add LSD.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it’s 2-3 times cheaper to buy one made that way, but wondered if there would be any issues with it. For example, I know if I send one in to get done by an experienced shop, it will be balanced. I don’t have assurance of that with a new one, although I assume it would be. I’d just hate to get it installed only to discover it isn’t going to work right.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,512 Posts
I had one cur down to 12.5 lbs by an own VW air cooled mechanic, only one I trusted.

Have a link to the one your looking at?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I read that thread, but there wasn’t much there to help me decide one way or the other. I did appreciate seeing the information and photos you posted there. I’m leaning toward just having the stock one machined since I know I can trust it to be balanced and of OEM quality.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,512 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I saw that footage a while back, and it’s still impressive.

I just noticed in my original post that I had said that I have to use a steel flywheel, but I meant to say that it has to be an OEM type, so a chromoly one wouldn’t be allowed. Since it’s easy for tech to check the flywheel at the bottom of the trans, I need to make sure I’m legal. If I could use an aftermarket type, I would surely go to an Exedy or something similar. So with that extra info, would I be better off with a flywheel like I linked that starts off lighter, or a machined stock unit? Would the steel one be stronger than a cut stock one? I’m starting to wonder if it will be worth it.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
I bought one of those ultra cheap ass 7.5 or 8 pound flywheels for my 01 civic. I took it to a local shop and had them balance it for $40 or so. Just told them make sure it stays happy past 9k rpm. they laughed a bit, but it was one heck of a nice improvement over the stock d17 flywheel. Looking back, with the weight of the 01-05 civics, I probably would have been happier with a 10-12 pound flywheel.

They did mention it was out of balance enough that they assumed if I simply dropped it into the car, I would have noticed it

Reactions: EFB055

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suppose that’s a possible solution. I could get a lightened steel unit and then take it to a local shop to get balanced. Do y’all think that would be more reliable than a machined stock flywheel?

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
I think an OEM wheel (if yours is original) is a better method to use to machine for lighter weight.

You can start with lower weight by grabbing a civic VX flywheel (92-95)from the d15z1 engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts