Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a few ?'s about my diy turbo d16 project...

i am running a d16 with a honda hf mani. mated (custom) to an evo 8 16g turbo. i understand the turbos off the evo's are twin scroll, thus my problem....

i am making my own TURBO TO MANI. ADAPTER. i'm using this picture as my reference: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120248411631&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting

first, i have access to steel and a plasma cutter. thus the reason for making my own adapter plate. BUT, do i need to "fade" the smaller port as it is in the picture? or will it be ok to cut out that whole "faded" corner and leave it as a bigger port? im guessing the "fade" in the port has to do with the direction of airflow in the manifold. "twin scroll" which in turn would the reason why my evo 8 turbo spools soo fast (full boost at 3-3.5k)

my 2nd ?....... when bolting up the turbo to the adapter then to the manifold, is there a certian direction the turbo must be placed? (ex: when all bolted up should the cold side/intake side of the turbo be facing the pass. side or driver side of my civic engine bay? sorry if this is complicating to understand

and lastly......
if i ran ,say, dsm 440injectors, would i have to use the dsm clips also? then cut and splice those clips into my d16 fuel rain? im asking because my buddy has 19lb. injectors off a 89 mustand 5.0 with clips. would these work with my d16 fuel rail?

thnx for everyones help.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
make it work then post pics.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The 19lbs/hr injectors are 202cc/min which is less then stock. Go with the DSM 440's, you don't need the clips. Search google and you'll find how to mod the stock clips to fit the DSM's.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
i was gonna make my own adapter plate, than after i researched all i had to actually do i just bought one for like 50 bucks on ebay. you have to cut it and yes the tapered edge help the air flow smother from the mani to turbo( thus spooling quicker). you can use a dremel tool(rotary tool) with a carbide bit. cut out the turbo flange hole and on one side trace the hole for the mani. use the rotary tool to taper that in. then you have to get the hole EXACT. drill them and then tap them(i suggest doing it on a drill press other wise they wont be true( perfectly strait).

if you have access to all the tools then go for it im all for diy's. i just found it easier and in the end would end up cheaper for me just to buy one.

second dsm injectors are widly used in the honda scene, yes they will work and i believe there is a sticky somewhere on here about how to install.

and you can mount your turbo however you want. frontward, backwards upside down, whatever all you have to make sure is that your center cartridge sits properly. the oil drain has to be facing strait down as the drain line is gravity fed

good luck

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
when mounting the turbo you need to check fitment. you didnt say if it was internal wastgate or not but since you said HF mani im going to guess it is. the wastegate will prolly need to be faces toward the front of the car. it most likely wont fit turned around. but not sure if that means the intake is pointing to passenger side or not. but alot of talons ive seen have it toward the passenger side. but evo's could be different. just mock it up first

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
scottdh20: thnx a lot man for your input. ya i would go ebay but the adapter itself is 120bux! that would be the most expensive part of this project (not worth it if i can make my own) i will definately use the tolls you suggested and taper the port on the adapter. As for for dsm injectors, im glad to hear i dont need the clips to make them work.

so 1 quick ?...... if i did not taper the adapter, would my turbo spool at idle or close to idle? (thus killing my mpg and driveability)

thnx again for everyones help. its greatly appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts