Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems there aren't ant available for our d16.
Are there any off the shelf pre fab'd manifolds that have a divided housing?

top mount/ram horn

I have searched around for certain brands but I feel like I am forgetting alot of others that may have some.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
make one :O

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
What's the point of a divided turbo on an open manifold? There isn't one.

Most people that step-up to divided housings also use custom manifolds. That's why they aren't as common.
Its not about the point; its the fact that either will work I really doubt that the turbine housing is that big or if he even needs on that big to have a use for it......Lol thats funny not as common on what a D maybe........ Most people dont want to spend the extra cash for a divided manifold or in the case of a holset that comes divided.......... I have seen them work well either way

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Theres no point of a divided turbo on a divided manifold either because nobody is pairing the cylinders properly. It should th 1-4 paired, and 2-3 paired, but its always 1-2 and 3-4.

Its a gimmick. People just think its cool to have dual wastegates and dont care if its helping or harming. Its totally useless to go divided if youre not going to pair the cycles properly.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Theres no point of a divided turbo on a divided manifold either because nobody is pairing the cylinders properly. It should th 1-4 paired, and 2-3 paired, but its always 1-2 and 3-4.

Its a gimmick. People just think its cool to have dual wastegates and dont care if its helping or harming. Its totally useless to go divided if youre not going to pair the cycles properly.
^This........ true divided mani's cost money.......

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts

I thought it was all about utilizing the individual cylinder pulses...

on a d16z6 the firing order is 1-3-4-2, that's why manifolds like the greddy one are grouped 1-4 2-3. if they were grouped 1-2 3-4, you would have the exhaust pulse from #4 interfering with the exhaust pulse from #3 as it's exiting.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turbo is a 6765 twin scroll t4 and I AM looking for a 1-4, 2-3 lay out.
I couldn't care less for a twin wastegate. I say merge both sides into one collector then to one 44mm wastegate.

like so

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I thought it was all about utilizing the individual cylinder pulses...
Right, but a turbine responds best to even pulses.
When 1-2 are paired and 3-4 and paired you basically get 2 exhaust cycles real close together with a long delay.
1-4 and 2-3 together you get more equal distribution between exhaust cycles taking advantage of pulse scavenging.

So when paired properly it could be that a divided housing would show some effect, in the same way that a good 4-2-1 header would compared to a 4-1. Which as we know the difference in power band between these 2 designs is pretty small on a 4 cylinder, so for the most part going with a properly designed single collector will probably be better for this application anyway.

Divided housings really show their merit on engines with many more cylinders, like a cross plane V8.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Examples of divided housings on 4 cylinder F1 engines:

As you can see, they paired the cylinders the "right" way (because they know what theyre doing)

Then there is this useless baller crap you see on 90% of hondas with diveded housings:

and the real shit:

Turbo is a 6765 twin scroll t4 and I AM looking for a 1-4, 2-3 lay out.
I couldn't care less for a twin wastegate. I say merge both sides into one collector then to one 44mm wastegate.

like so
Yah, thats the "right" way. Even still, Im not sure how much difference youre really going to see on a 4 cylinder. Its not something I would really go out of my way to do unless I was trying to really push the limits of the setup (which you may plan on doing).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 6765 is a twin scroll so I wouldn't want to get such a capable turbo with the option of using all it has and not use it to my advantage.
I may not see a DRASTIC difference but with a large turbo like this it will help spool.
It will be ball bearing as well just to get the 10~15% less spool time.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Obviously its not gonna be a dd. Why not just spray it to spool it. wont take a huge amount of n2o and would be cheaper than getting a custom fabbed mani. Or sell/trade it for a 6262 or 6265, either make a ton of power and will prolly spool quicker than the 6765

·
Registered
Jeep wrangler DD
225 Posts
Any company that builds and sells turbo manis, will build you a twin scroll mani. Just call them...

AFI didnt offer a D-series forward facing, but i called them, they said you build a jig and send it to us and we'll build it. So thats what i did.

I wouldnt be worried about spool time if it isnt a street car. Even my 6262 is still fun on the street. But as a drag car, you will most likely use antilag on the starting line, so you'll be launching in boost, and carry that down the track. Set it up for WOT shifts so boost wont drop between shifts and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Obviously its not gonna be a dd. Why not just spray it to spool it. wont take a huge amount of n2o and would be cheaper than getting a custom fabbed mani. Or sell/trade it for a 6262 or 6265, either make a ton of power and will prolly spool quicker than the 6765
Screw the bottle

Also, according to JFK his 6765 twin scroll w/ 1.00a/r spooled JUST as quick as a 6262 w/ .82 a/r, unless you don't trust what he has to say....

It will be a drag car but that doesn't mean I won't keep it registered for some random street kills :devil2:

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Screw the bottle

Also, according to JFK his 6765 twin scroll w/ 1.00a/r spooled JUST as quick as a 6262 w/ .82 a/r, unless you don't trust what he has to say....

It will be a drag car but that doesn't mean I won't keep it registered for some random street kills :devil2:
You do realize that was due to the head and compression that he was using not the turbo itself...... have you actually talked to James? If not you may want to so you don't get dissapointed when a 67mm does not spool like a 62mm....

·
Registered
Jeep wrangler DD
225 Posts
So far from exchanging PM's with thegreenteam, he's got a pretty serious build going on right now. I'd hope he'd be getting some head work done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts