Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all, am chris and am new to the forum. My recent engine problem has prompted me to sign up with this forum because NOBODY seems to know whats goin on...

I recently blew the D16z6 in my 98 civic ex (the Y8 was totaled by the previous owner) and i threw in a D15B w/ vtec..

It has the Y8 intake manifold so that we can run the engine on OBD2 but the first problem i encountered was that the "dual vtec solenoid" that came with the D15B (i have the 3-stage VTEC) wouldnt work with the wiring harness (which makes sense) so the mechanic threw on the z6 vtec solenoid.. VTEC kicks in 500 rpms late.

apparently one of the O2 sensors is burned out cuz its running pig rich. and I say this because it runs so rich it wouldnt reach redline. I have a VAFC hooked up and have it set to kick in at 4500 rpms.. since the VTEC kicks in 500 rpms late it jumps up at 5000 rpms and it reaches redline. Without the VAFC the car would take forever to hit redline.

the car is idling HORRIBLY when the A/C compressor is trying to engage and sometimes it wont engage at all.. and sometimes w/o the a/c being on, the idle will drop to 560 rpms... this car has been a nightmare so far.

I still have the old z6 engine and the head seems to be in pretty good shape so I was thinking of dropping the z6 head on the D15 block... can that be done? I'm pretty new to hondas so if anyone can help me out i'd really appreciate it.

Btw, i wanted to drop in a more aggressive cam and i've been reading good things about the Zex and Crower cams. Is there anything that can fit the D15 head if I do keep it? if I swap the head and put the Z6, what would i need to make the cam work?

Oh and I almost forgot, now vtec isnt kicking in. It will kick in late or it wont at all and sometimes it will kick on and off on and off and it will feel like ur in a car haulin ass in a low gear and some one floors it and lets off the throttle then floors it and lets off over and over. am going crazy...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
am supposed to have 3 stage but the mechanic put in the z6 solenoid. and i dont think Honda limited asia to the 3-stage vtec.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts