Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, new here, done alot with turbos and tuning, new to hondas really.

i have a beater car that i am turning into a project

92 hatch dx with a stock d15b far as i can tell

bought an ebay kit for her, and plan to keep it below 200hp to the tire, because i hear that is where they come apart....

i have a 255 in the tank, and ill be installing 1000cc injectors.

next up i am geting a d16 from a friend ZC i think, non vtec

coming with studs new water pump hg and whatnot, my plan is to just throw vitara pistons and eagle rods ebay package into this and turn up the wick on pumpgas and also do a racegas tune.

is this a terrible idea? ill push that ebay turbo till it blows and then buy a garrett or something, i have a t4 60-1 .68 AR collecting dust here at my house but i think that might be too large.

ive also had someone else tell me that you cant shift a D series trans at high rpm...

i would be happy with 250-300 on pumpgas built d16. is this a fairytale?

haha sorry if i have a lot of questions, but i was figuring on doing something fun and an off setup, of course i could ditch it all and swap in a ls or gsr and turbo the balls off that but everyone does, and i might too if this thing lets me down.

anyway, thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh stock motor will be tuned by me on s300 and built motor will be tuned by Jeff Evans since he is only a few miles away from me

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
Erm, good luck finding forged rods for a D15B7.

eBay turbo isn't terribly terrible. Low-budget boost set-up its not bad, but I'd rather go for a used turbo from a DSM/Volvo/Saab/Whatever for cheap, have it rebuilt by Mhamrick, and use that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You won't be able to push 250 on stock motor. 200 is like the limit... get some vitara pistons eagle rods or fjt custum lenght I beams ... don't buy an ebay turbo start with a good one blowing your turbo could fuck your motor and its kind of a waste ... 1000cc injectors are to big for 300hp unless you gonna run on e85. 650cc should be safe. For 300hp ..also might want to get a adujustable fuel pressure regulator. For the 255.... and instead of tunning with s300 try neptune all I hear is that neputne is way better an less expensive for boost....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe i wasnt clear, gunna turbo the stock motor for fun, less than 200hp.

then i am building the d16, and i want to make 300 on pumpgas (doable?)

then more on racegas hence the big injectors

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
166 Posts
I think the 1000cc injectors are kinda over kill
what type of fuel pump will you be using?
use a aftermarket fpr
250 to the wheel is good with that piston/rod set up.
Headstuds
new headgasket
Just make sure you get it tuned before you even drive it with a turbo

and you can shift d series transmission can shift at high rpms I take mine about 7600 right before I shift if I drive hard.
A lot of d series drivers go higher

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
You might wanna do more homework because it seems you don't have all the details straight. Do you want 200 or 300hp? You already have the fuel pump. But if you wanna go higher than 200 then I suggest going up to a z6 block and some fit cusom rods an vitaras. The d15 cranks are weaker than a d16. Crank plus the z6 has a better oiling system. Crucial items in a turbo build. 1000 cc injectors are way too big for even 300 hp and you'll wanna z6 intake or better. No real need to go bigger than a 60 mm TB. Search other builds to get a real idea of what you want. There are tons on here

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
i dont mind buying a quality turbo and cramming 35lbs of boost
You would grenade the motor the first time you got to full boost on any d without sleeving the block. And running a forged bottom end. That would put you well over 2 grand just in the bottom end. And the b7 head doesn't flow very well. A6 or z6 head are great choices and with the a6 head you dont need to wire up the VTEC system. Or run a y7 valve train in the z6 to stay out of VTEC. Just remember, do TONS of home work before going turbo. Or you'll go BOOM!!!!

·
Registered
Honda Civic and CRV
265 Posts
Just finished my D16 turbo install today. And it's on 1000cc injectors. They were installed on the motor and tuned when it was naturally aspirated. Engine ran great. Didn't miss a beat. Plus, they were the same price as the 650cc injectors.

Is 300hp doable on a non-vtech you ask? I think so. That is my goal. From all the research I've done and the answers I've found, it can be done with about 22psi boost. I haven't blown a boosted engine but I didn't take any chances on this project. It has Wiseco pistons and H-beam Eagle rods with APC bearings, ARP head studs, commetic head gasket and stock rebuilt head. Today's test drive was rather pleasing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2 grand into a bottom end, lol

ill just buy a 500 dollar LS before i ever do that.

in fact, ide rather just swap a small block chevy into the car before i spend 2000 on a civic bottom end

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
just throw in that zc. zc no vtec is my fav engine

·
Registered
175 Posts
You gonna put a used clutch in your 300hp turbo setup ... you know if it fails you gonna have take off the tranny and put. Another

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have a 3000 dollar invested junkyard busa i bought wrecked, fixed, installed and tune on nitrous it makes 201whp and goes 8s, and it looks like shit, and i love it.

haha

1 - 20 of 49 Posts