Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed my first D16Z6 build using a stock block bored to .5mm over and crank bore checked and polished for uniform clearances. Stock D series rods ARP rob bolts and head studs. P29 YCP pistons 75.5mm and NPR pistons and rings 75.5mm gapped and clocked. I used plastigauge confirming all rod and main bearing clearances with ACL bearings at .0015.

Upon startup blue smoke completely filled the garage and continued until engine shut down on its own. I pulled the plugs and of course all 4 are covered in oil. Oil on the ground behind the tail pipe and even oil dripping from the header to exhaust connection.

I would assume my rings are incorrectly gapped, installed upside down, or clocked incorrectly. My problem is when I break it down if everything looks like when I put it all in, how do I know what the problem is?

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,744 Posts
seals in the valve cover in?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
989 Posts
Ring clocking has more to do with oil consumption than end gap... you can have some beefy end gaps, and as long as rings are clocked correctly, oil will still be controlled really well. You shouldn't have the amount of oil your reporting from excessive ring gap. On that note, you didn't gap them 1.5" did you? Lol.

You didn't line the end gaps up did you? Comp ring upside down? What's compression like cold on each cylinder?

Forgot to put valve stem seals in?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
did the valve stem seals get repalced during the motor refresh? easy thing to miss if you were the one who cleaned the ehad completely naked.

And an easy way to be chugging so much oil

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did the valve stem seals get repalced during the motor refresh? easy thing to miss if you were the one who cleaned the ehad completely naked.

And an easy way to be chugging so much oil
I will pull the valve cover and double check. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ring clocking has more to do with oil consumption than end gap... you can have some beefy end gaps, and as long as rings are clocked correctly, oil will still be controlled really well. You shouldn't have the amount of oil your reporting from excessive ring gap. On that note, you didn't gap them 1.5" did you? Lol.

You didn't line the end gaps up did you? Comp ring upside down? What's compression like cold on each cylinder?

Forgot to put valve stem seals in?
I will check compression on each cylinder but all 4 spark plugs are covered in oil after only a min of running. I could be that rings are upside down but I was aware of this and followed the directions on the back of the NPR ring box.

I did not check the valve stem seals but I will

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
what are the ring gaps set to?

if it was never checked (doesnt matter if box said for 75.5mm, humans pack the box, could easily be mistake and only 75mm rings)

remember with parts on boxes. humans are involved! we make mistakes. shit happens.

was the block prepped at a machine shop?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what are the ring gaps set to?

if it was never checked (doesnt matter if box said for 75.5mm, humans pack the box, could easily be mistake and only 75mm rings)

remember with parts on boxes. humans are involved! we make mistakes. shit happens.

was the block prepped at a machine shop?
Very possible they are 75mm not 75.5mm. They seemed to fit well. I will check my notes for ring gaps. Yes the block was prepped by a machine shop.

I think I'm going to pull the head and pan and remove at least one cylinder and see what is up. What should I be looking for is my problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts