Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

Im currently looking to put a D16z6 into my 1996 Ek i have the engine loom ecu etc....

not i know i need a conversion for the ecu but i have been told that the Eg loom off the Z6 will not fit onto the EK bodyshell and that i will have to make some modifications to the look? is this so or can i just drop the engine and loom in and it will fit

if not what sort of mods will i be looking to make?

cheers
Ollie

·
Registered
52 Posts
is the harness in the ek fucked or something??

the easiest way to do it would be leave the ek harness in and get a conversion harness for an obd1 z6 ecu.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope the harness is fine and is currently running the d15z6

the new engine has the factory loom and ecu that came from an EG but some guy told me that the loom will not fit the Ek bodyshell and that i have to cut off the injector plugs and solder on different ones

I know that i need the conversion harness at the ecu end but i was wondering if i can just drop the engine in and plug it in

cheers
ollie

·
Registered
52 Posts
im not so familiar with the d15z6

but the harness in the car should plug up to the d16z6 you want to put in there.

if the d15z6 id obd2 then yes you will need to change the injector plugs to an obd1 style.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the d15z6 is the vtec-e engine im not sure what is is over there in the states tho

the engine i want to drop in is obd1 so are ther any other bits i would need to change on the loom ?

cheers
ollie

·
Registered
32 Posts
You say your car is an EK which means your car is 1996-2000 and is OBD2 while the d16z6 came in the 1992-1995 civics which were OBD1. The plugs should plug up but more than likely you'll have plugs left over on your harness. Now what you need are the conversion harness for your ecu and you need to get an OBD1 ecu perferably a P28 which the stock ecu for the d16z6. You can look at rywire.com for the harness and what ever else you need.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i have been told that the Eg loom off the Z6 will not fit onto the EK bodyshell and that i will have to make some modifications to the look? is this so or can i just drop the engine and loom in and it will fit
The best way to do it is to modify your existing harness. Replacing it is a total bitch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so what would i need to do to the existing loom

the way i currently see it is thus (please correct me if im wrong)

Lets pretend i dont have and engine or loom in my EK at the moment
D16z6 with standard loom is put straight into the car and plugged into the interior loom

Obd2>Obd1 conversion harness used on interior loom

Ecu plugs in

car starts and drives off

is this right or wrong ? sorry but i have had so many different bits of info from about 5 different sources i really dont know what i need to do i just want a straight answer

cheers
Ollie

·
Registered
510 Posts
is this right or wrong ? sorry but i have had so many different bits of info from about 5 different sources i really dont know what i need to do i just want a straight answer
The conversion harnesses are designed to take your stock loom and adapt it to OBD1. You must modify your existing engine harness because it doesn't have all of the plugs for the Z6 engine (i.e. vtec solenoid). So, you take those extra plugs you need and run new wires in to the interior where you connect them to your conversion harness.

Why go to all of the trouble of converting your entire car's wiring to OBD1 by putting in the Z6 harness? That's why you buy the conversion harness!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh right i see, its just i was told that the z6 loom would not possibly fit onto the Ek bodyshell.

Any idea what mods i will need to do to the existing loom?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts