Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have civic 2000. Originally it has D16Y8. But for some reasons I have to swap D15Z6. But all the wiring and intake remains of D16Y8. Ecu is also of D16Y8.
Now I want to know will this ecu damage my engine? Also I am getting very low fuel economy like around 6 km per liter. I was thinking that this engine runs in 12 valve mode normally so with any ecu it should give economy. Also I have cng kit installed so my intake has blockage. Will this also effect economy?
But except economy it works fine like acceleration and idling is well

·
Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,169 Posts
You have a VTEC-E model head.

Not the same as a Y8; More like a Y5.... except yours is a 1.5 not a 1.6.

It would technically work on your Y8 ecu; but; it would probably run pretty bad unless you ran it on the Y5 ecu.... you could make it run better by jumping the VTEC to be powered all of the time (always in 16 valve mode); but then you would have CEL for VTEC, etc... so its a decision on how you want to go about it.

Now; one alternative:

Swap a Y8 cam and LMA into that head from the old engine.
Now you would have a 1.5L Y8 for the most part.

One final note:

OBD2 has 10* base timing typically. This means; different cam gears in most if not all circumstances. You may need to put that OBD2 cam gear on; the one in the photo looks like an OBD1 cam gear. (16* base timing) But if you have checked it all; disregard this note.... but looking at where your distributor is set; I may be onto something. I typically use a dwell capable timing light so I can time via the TDC mark itself.

Expect a strange timing belt size. Use the VTEC-E 1.5L (92-95) belt. Might wanna count the teeth at some point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have a VTEC-E model head.

Not the same as a Y8; More like a Y5.... except yours is a 1.5 not a 1.6.

It would technically work on your Y8 ecu; but; it would probably run pretty bad unless you ran it on the Y5 ecu.... you could make it run better by jumping the VTEC to be powered all of the time (always in 16 valve mode); but then you would have CEL for VTEC, etc... so its a decision on how you want to go about it.

Now; one alternative:

Swap a Y8 cam and LMA into that head from the old engine.
Now you would have a 1.5L Y8 for the most part.

One final note:

OBD2 has 10* base timing typically. This means; different cam gears in most if not all circumstances. You may need to put that OBD2 cam gear on; the one in the photo looks like an OBD1 cam gear. (16* base timing) But if you have checked it all; disregard this note.... but looking at where your distributor is set; I may be onto something. I typically use a dwell capable timing light so I can time via the TDC mark itself.

Expect a strange timing belt size. Use the VTEC-E 1.5L (92-95) belt. Might wanna count the teeth at some point.
Thanks for the detail explanation.
One thing I don't understand it if my engine running in 12 valve mode inspite of having wrong ecu, it should consume less fuel?
As for performance when you drive you don't feel any driveability issues but the fuel average is very bad.
Thirdly can I get to know from head code from which era is this engine is? On wikipedia it says it's in 1995 to 2000 civic 1.5i ls europe.

Why are you saying I should drive it 16 valve mode?

·
Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,169 Posts
yes, your best bet is to lock it into 16v mode... or if you can swap the head internals from a Y8, then you will basically have a y8.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts