Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as in title would i be able to swap ecu's (plug and play?) wanting to know as i have a chance to get a spoon ecu with 8700rev limit

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what a D15z6 motor is. I know that you can use a P28 (D16Z6 ECU) to run a jdm D15b Vtec. Is the D15Z6 similar to that?

On a side note, unless you have a fairly well modified motor I doubt you're going to benefit from a "Spoon" ECU with 8700 rpm rev limit.

If you're modified enough to where the stock ECU isn't a viable option for running your car safely then get a chipped ECU with a good basemap and get it tuned end of story.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
What is your motor now the one in your car? What is done to the motor? What 2 ecus do you have to choose from?

If it is a spoon ebay no don’t get it it is just a generic one size fits all chip. Every motor is different in a big way. If your motor is modified you should go with a tune. This will match the fuel and ignition to your motor. If you are running a stock motor the best thing to do is run the stock ecu for that motor.

Ecu swapping is seldom the rite answer for adding power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mine is the vtec-e and the spoon ecu is on a d16z6 car
my motor has 4-2-1 header and cold air intake and full exhaust system

·
Registered
98 Civic Ex
244 Posts
EVerybody basically has those...

Now as to your 8700 rpm, you could rev that high but why? Past the rev limiter set to your engine it usually stops making power. That's why honda put it there. I could see why you are reving it past because if you have cam, turbo and so on but... you don't...

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
My 2 cents

I pulled a skunk 2 set of fuel maps and ign maps off of a 1 time writeable atmel chip. The program was crome (well to my knowledge) and was setup poorly. I was told this one came from ebay. My real skunk2 binary isn't that much more impressive. Setup for a b16 (by the looks of the maps) when it was sent for a built gsr. No matter what unless it is someone whos knows what they are doing then it won't be 100% right. And it takes equipment to do that so here your 2 realistic options.

A) you stated your motor is a vtec-e. I have a buddy who insists on using a stock p28 on his i/h/e d15z1 which is a vtec-e motor... it runs hella good. But I havnt races it and he is kinda quick from what I hear. Would I do it? No. I would grab a wideband for 180 off of ebay. Borrow a burner and go to town. Full tune even better than stock lol... but that takes a lot of knowledge or atleast tune yourself and build your car so you know atleast how to tune yourself safely.

B) take it to someone else. Check references! Obviously zenocron chris and most of the tuners on here could set you up with a nice basemap that will be decent. But who knows about things like gas mileage and wot response stuff like that...

C) have someone do it locally. Check references and learn while they do your car and ask questions... some tuners don't like it. Some don't mind it...

Goodluck and read. It will help but if I were you I would tune it myself but not before reading a lot and slowly playing with your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EVerybody basically has those...

Now as to your 8700 rpm, you could rev that high but why? Past the rev limiter set to your engine it usually stops making power. That's why honda put it there. I could see why you are reving it past because if you have cam, turbo and so on but... you don't...
cam and stuff would have come i understand what you are saying but was wanting to know if it would have been worth gettin as it was cheap

Rev it to the moon noob.
so pleased you posted. cant find anything better to do i see

My 2 cents

I pulled a skunk 2 set of fuel maps and ign maps off of a 1 time writeable atmel chip. The program was crome (well to my knowledge) and was setup poorly. I was told this one came from ebay. My real skunk2 binary isn't that much more impressive. Setup for a b16 (by the looks of the maps) when it was sent for a built gsr. No matter what unless it is someone whos knows what they are doing then it won't be 100% right. And it takes equipment to do that so here your 2 realistic options.

A) you stated your motor is a vtec-e. I have a buddy who insists on using a stock p28 on his i/h/e d15z1 which is a vtec-e motor... it runs hella good. But I havnt races it and he is kinda quick from what I hear. Would I do it? No. I would grab a wideband for 180 off of ebay. Borrow a burner and go to town. Full tune even better than stock lol... but that takes a lot of knowledge or atleast tune yourself and build your car so you know atleast how to tune yourself safely.

B) take it to someone else. Check references! Obviously zenocron chris and most of the tuners on here could set you up with a nice basemap that will be decent. But who knows about things like gas mileage and wot response stuff like that...

C) have someone do it locally. Check references and learn while they do your car and ask questions... some tuners don't like it. Some don't mind it...

Goodluck and read. It will help but if I were you I would tune it myself but not before reading a lot and slowly playing with your car.
thanks for a good reply dont get alot of those on hear

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Stock ecu will work better. Tune will work better then stock ecu.

·
Registered
516 Posts
So I overlooked this post^^. If you have the Vtec-E, I wouldn't even bother trying to tune that motor or fix it up. It was not designed for performance of any kind.

And a Z6 ECU of any kind will not run it any better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have z6 head clean only like 90,000miles i have a y8 that i'm getting ready to use. get the z6 head a p28 and use 93 cuz compression bump up to like 9.8-10.1 also have need a tune for better overall performance pm me for details

1 - 11 of 11 Posts