Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96' Honda Civic
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this summer I'm going to be either rebuilding or replacing the transmission in my '96 Honda Civic. I'm pretty sure the motor is a D15Z4 because it says 1.5L on it and the D15Z4 is the only 1.5L motor in a 6th gen. Does anyone know what transmission would fit this motor?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Just search, the endless threads of the same question over and over is what sets off the OGs in these forums. This is back to basics questioning, and can be answered faster by searching then sitting and waiting. Trust me, I know, I search constantly.

As long as you go manual to manual and auto to auto the swap is basic and any d series trans will fit your motor bolt wise. There are some better geared trannys as far as top end and acceleration go but I am working, seek those for your self.

BTW your engine facts are off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Basically this is the "general" rule with honda tranny's:

Any 88+ tranny should bolt to a d-series block from 88+.

But make sure you get the proper one for your chassis, cable clutch tranny's vs hydro clutch tranny's and also the cable shifted tranny's rather than the traditional rod shifter.

In the US all 92-00 are hydro clutch with rod shifter. 88-91 is a cable clutch. 01-05 has a cable shifter.

There might be some oddball shit I don't remember or even know but this is the general thing. Also this will not apply for anything 4wd.

·
Registered
97 ex coupe
67 Posts
since it a ek id stay with a hydro tranny from 92-00 the rest just depends on your goal. mpgs gearing etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts