Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone is doing well, just wanted to ask about which Mark's I should align the cam gear since I've been having a slight rattling sound. Sounds similar to the valves touching the pistons ever so slightly. I think I might be a tooth off but I'm not sure. I lined up the bottom crank pulley mark to the arrow on the valve cover and the upper cam gear to the lower mark similar to what's shown on this youtube video.
I'm still getting that rattling noise and it only seems to happen when I'm going up a hill. Probably it's because due to the motor having a greater load to carry at that angle. Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. If you notice in his video he sets the cam gear a bit towards the left and not dead on the arrow, I'm trying to figure out if I should be dead on.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,289 Posts

have you checked your valve lash?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I,very checked it. .007 intake and .009 exhaust. They all check out and I timed the engine exactly like how it is shown on that youtube vid. Funny thing is I've been chasing this rattling sound for some time now and had timed it correctly at one point and got the rattling to go away and had to do a timing belt and now that sound is back. I'm 100 thousand percent willing to bet I'm off by a tooth or at least half a tooth. It bugs the hell out of me hearing your valves chatter as your loading the engine up a hill. I'd have to let off the throttle to get it to reduce the noise and somewhat go away. Normal decline and straight driving is fine. Its if I wot it up a hill that it does it sometimes.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
You'd have to be off a few more teeth for P2V contact.

What engine do you have? That youtube video shows a Z6 era gear, does yours look exactly like that cam gear?

If everything else is stock, 1 tooth off isn't going to cause P2V contact.

You sure bottom end is healthy?

Video of noise?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'd have to be off a few more teeth for P2V contact.

What engine do you have? That youtube video shows a Z6 era gear, does yours look exactly like that cam gear?

If everything else is stock, 1 tooth off isn't going to cause P2V contact.

You sure bottom end is healthy?

Video of noise?
Well, it seems to have gone a way a bit now it seems. I spoke to another honda buddy of mine, and he said that it might be ignition timing too advanced. So I played around with the distributor and I think I found a sweet spot. I'll keep running it for next few days in hope's that the adjustment of the dizzy fixed the issue. I still here this flight chatter noise during cold starts and even while engine is warm. Engine is healthy as can be, no smoke, good compression. I'll ponder on it for a bit for now though. Thank you guys, it is greatly appreciated! 🙏

1 - 5 of 5 Posts