Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. im gonna start off with my lil turbo project i got in the works.
i picked up a 97 hatch and it has a full d15z1 (vx) swap in it. runs great, but as all of you know the stock z1 is gutless. so i decided it needs some boost to back it up.
had a tree fall on my baby (del sol) 2 months ago during a tornado. finally got my insurance check so i figured why not.
my budget is well below $2,000

picked up a full d series turbo kit for $300
.50 turbo
3'' downpipe.
tapped z6 pan.
hks bov
no name (I'm sure ebay) wastegate/dump tube.
cast log manifold.
dsm 550cc injectors.
z6 intake manifold and tb with all sensors.
oil lines.
fmic and charge pipe.
and a chip with previous tune from a stock z6 (240 whp)

also picked up a 99 ex y8 trans to replace the vx trans for $75.
picked up a tested, clean z6 head and valve cover for $50

went cheap on the clutch, xtr stage 3 sprung 6 puck, pp and flywheel. $180

block sandwich plate $30

arp head studs $108

motor mount insert bushings $free (thanks Bryan)

aem wide band o2 $160
aem tru-boost $100

oem y8 head gasket $40
oem honda oil filter $6
frog eye gauge bezel $10
thermal intake mani gasket. $30

as you can see i have spend just a hair below $1,090

my whp goals are very minimal, not shooting for a bunch of power on this. once everything is broken in i plan to run no more than 10psi and hope to shoot for anywhere around 175-200whp for my daily.

the z1 block with z6 head and oem y8 head gasket (assuming the head/block haven't been milled at all) will drop my c/r to 7.9:1 so some boost should not be a problem.

i plan to do all the work in one sitting on saturday before i leave for vacation.
head swap, trans and clutch swap. oil pan swap. wire all gauges. new axles. instal mount bushings. instal turbo kit. wire in resistor box. all that.

i will update with any issues i have, and also results on the setup. i know its not a very common set up. but its also been done plenty of times with great results. with i had a t25 turbo or a greddy kit. but gonna make do with what i have.

probably won't be seeing any dyno numbers as i can get a street tune for a fraction of the cost.

wish me luck! haha cheers.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sounds like you found someone selling all of his shit at once and scored some deals sounds awesome post up some pics!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its nice to have lots of friends who have stuff left over from when they wanted more power. haha the only parts i got brand new are. aem wide band. arp's, clutch kit. and the obvious gaskets and some little fittings. but most of it will be used hand me downs. just the way i like it. i will be posting up tons of pics soon as saturday rolls around. hope it all works out and it turns into a somewhat enjoyable daily. this 70hp is just killing me when i can't drive my del sol haha.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is the car I'm working with. and how its currently set up.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
thats alot on your plate for one day, it can be done im sure but i usually install stuff like the gauges a few weeks or more ahead of time. also did my oil drain fitting early because i bottomed out and busted my oil pan so i had to put a new one on, i figured why not tap it now. good luck and you have a clean looking hatch

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice hatch man id trade you a z6 for the z1 if you were closer id love to make a 70mpg crx
im pulling 48-50 mpg with it now. i drive it like a girl tho since its piss slow anyway no point it beating on it all the time.

gone be me and a buddy doing it all with no power tools what so ever, keep it old school. shouldn't be to bad. pull the motor and do everything with it out. much less headache and time.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
hopefully you dont run into any problems with the install, my first build took me two days to install because i thought something was broke since my friend left the oil sandwich adapter loose, my second build that i just finished putting on took about a week, i ran into a few problems and things i needed to order to make it work.

why pull the engine, basically the only thing you can mount on the motor before dropping it in would be the manifold, turbo and oil feed line. i guess it would make intalling the clutch easier to though

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hopefully you dont run into any problems with the install, my first build took me two days to install because i thought something was broke since my friend left the oil sandwich adapter loose, my second build that i just finished putting on took about a week, i ran into a few problems and things i needed to order to make it work.

why pull the engine, basically the only thing you can mount on the motor before dropping it in would be the manifold, turbo and oil feed line. i guess it would make intalling the clutch easier to though
it will just be a lot more simple to swap the trans and clutch. head, time the motor. swap oil pan. all that. usually the way we do it. I'm about 90% sure i will have everything to make it go smooth and be back on the road the same day. fingers crossed. but all the important stuff is ready.
thanks for the comments guys!

anyone who has done this set up feel free to chime in.

ive had my share of turbo hondas and n/a hondas. none of it is new to me. pretty confident we can pull it off in 1 day.
id rather do it over a few day period but its my only car at the moment. my del sol id down still with minor damage from the tree falling on it lol.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
anyone who has done this set up feel free to chime in.
i believe user Wischmaster ran the same motor with a greddy kit for years.
you might want to search his threads

·
Registered
393 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but does the top end (rocker arm assmbly cam ect) from a z6 swap directly over to the z1 to convert it to vtec instead on vtec-e been year since ive ever seen a z1 so just a thought

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i believe user Wischmaster ran the same motor with a greddy kit for years.
you might want to search his threads
Yes I actually know wischmaster personally. And also the previous owner of his car is who does all our tuning. He is the only one I know in the area who has this setup also. He drives it hard everyday to! That car was going strong back in 2008 with the previous owner when I got one my cars tuned. It's been a great setup so far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Correct me if im wrong but does the top end (rocker arm assmbly cam ect) from a z6 swap directly over to the z1 to convert it to vtec instead on vtec-e been year since ive ever seen a z1 so just a thought
I wanna see more of that del sol!
I'll just be swapping a z6 head on the z1 block. But people have swapped the z1 rocker arm assembly into a z6 head with no problems. To keep the vtec-e but use the Much larger ports of a z6 head.

I'll throw up a few pics of my del sol for anyone interested. 👍

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Everyone whos any one is interested, we are pic whores here. Post em.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
looks awesome! I have the same wheels on mine (the racing hart reps) how much clearance do you have with that H2B setup?

1 - 20 of 98 Posts