Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Civic DX
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, its been a while since I've been here, so mods feel free to move it where it should go.

The problem I have with this is I'm using a VX engine harness in a 93 EX. As some of you might know VX has one extra plug at the passenger side shock tower, as well as an EGR valve and a 5 wire wideband o2 sensor. I've swapped a z6 into a VX but never the other way around. I dont know which wires to disregard and which to move or leave alone. I really need help getting this done..

I'm planning on using the stock VX po7 ecu.

If anyone has a GOOD wiring diagram for both models maybe I could figure it out. My main concern is the shock tower harness/plugs and making the 5 wire o2 work. I dont see how I can get the EGR valve to work so, I'm prepared to live with a CEL for it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! I'm at a standstill. And sorry about the long post but hopefully I gave all of the necessary info. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
why would you disregard wires if you are running the vx's ecu?

run the complete harness, find the ecu harness as well

or sell the vx motor to someone on ecomodders.com who actually want it for gas mileage, and buy a d15b7. the b7 will waste that vx and still get 30-40mpg depending on your foot

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
i forgot to say.

california vx ecus do Not use the 5 wire o2 since they dont use lean burn mode. the 49 state ecus DO use the 5wire and leanburn. you must also use better spark plugs and recommend an external coil for leanburn.

·
Registered
97 Civic DX
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
why would you disregard wires if you are running the vx's ecu?

run the complete harness, find the ecu harness as well

or sell the vx motor to someone on ecomodders.com who actually want it for gas mileage, and buy a d15b7. the b7 will waste that vx and still get 30-40mpg depending on your foot
VX harness has 4 shock tower plugs vs 3 on the EX side. Thats what I was referring too about disregarding.

I've taken it out of the VX put it into the EX..I'm done swapping for a while..no engine hoist. My VX shell is waiting on the b18cR....laziness.

·
Registered
97 Civic DX
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that!! I was just on the phone with someone at rywire that suggested that same link! :)

Also, he said to use the EX harness on the VX motor and just disregard the EGR and the o2. He said it was a lot easier to use the same harness as the car. And to just hardwire the o2 and EGR to the p07 ECU.

I wanted to use the EX harness on my b18cR into the VX shell because thats how I've done the z6 swap before. But it looks like I'll have to use the VX harness on it instead..which wont need the o2 or any of that nonsence. Neptune FTW!!

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
im sure the vx and ex harnesses are wired the same except that the vx has the extra plug....so you could still use the vx harness like you wanted and wire the o2 and egr from that extra plug,just like you said in the above post...this way you can still use the ex harness.....

·
Registered
97 Civic DX
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a shock tower pin out diagram for all of the models? On ffs they only talk about the A plug.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Is there a shock tower pin out diagram for all of the models? On ffs they only talk about the A plug.
i have not found a shock tower pin out diagram.....

·
Registered
97 Civic DX
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It runs!! Revs fine, through out the rpm range... with a CEL of course but I haven't had the time to check for what. Its raining pretty hard here..

I kept the VX engine harness and just plugged it into the EX shock tower plugs. No wires switched or anything.. And I disregard the extra plug on the engine harness.

A plug has one wire thats different color but both have something to do with the o2 sensor.
B? plug has one extra wire on the EX side..also something to do w/ the o2.
C? plug is identical on both.

Thanks for the help!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts