Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone I'm new to this Honda tech stuff I have little background in mechanics but I need help ASAP I am trying to drop an obd1 engine into a 89 crx si that has obd0 harness I have the harness and computer from the 93 civic DX that the obd1 harnes is in and ecu can I just swap the harness and ecu without problems now I am using the crx si cable trans and it is a cable speedo will that become an issue for anything other than activating vtech and if so is there a wiring hack I can use so vtech will activate I still have the distributor for the obd1 harness as well What problem would I run into or might run into if this is all possible

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just look up obd0 to obd1 swap in the search bar there is a lot of info on it.
But to make your life easier look into get a obd0 to obd1 conversion harness for the ecu.
Also you need the correct ecu the dx won't work correctly you need one from a vx since its he correctly ecu for that motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do u mean vx sry I'm completely new to the Honda lingo and this swapping motors in Hondas is turning out to be complicated lol I appreciate the help tho so what u are saying is I can't use the harness that the motor came from and put it into the si and call it a day

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok if I got the conversion harness from obdo to obd1 do I need a different ecu or can I just use the one that is in the crx that is mainly my confusion on the conversion harness

·
Registered
247 Posts
D15z1 came in the vx hatchback model without the correct ecu (p07) the car won't run properly,the dx ecu is non vtec. As for the engine harness you need to reused your obd0 harness and swap over a few plugs from the new motor. Click the link below it'll explain the details better than I can. The only problem you'll run into is the z1 uses a 5 wire O2 sensor vs the 4 wire in the instructions.

http://www.rywire.com/catalog/images/instructions/inst_0to1jumper.gif

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ok the vx is a hatch well then the 93 civic i have is a hatch back so does that mean I'm in the clear thanks for the help man been all over the net looking for this info then I found this forum thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cuz I'm new and seen tw DIY and I am doing the job myself so I thought it fit the forum lol my bad

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well sorta you should read up one obd0 to obd1 swaps. Just curious as to why your going with d15z1 it's a bit of a downgrade from the original d16a6 found in the 88-91 si's. unless your going for mileage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the kid who had it before me blew the hell out of the D-16 and he had the d15 layin around He tore up the head and damaged the block

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Sell the d15z1 and just buy a d16a6. It will be way cheaper to just get the right engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so I checked the ecu on the hatchback it is a vx and it is a p07 ecu now is it possible to do the switch with out any heavy mods or do I just need a jumper harness

·
Registered
1 Posts
that motor is for gas mileage,it's not just wiring left to do motor mounts various ways, injectors have to be right size for that ecu 190 cc by the way, 5 wire o2, the correct trans meaning a taller gear trans, hf or a vx. that motor is intended for high gas mileage i'ts a lean burn motor do some reading, and then do some more. google crx lean burn motor, go on to gassvers.org, ecomodders etc...

crxMPG – Gas mileage never looked so good CRX D15Z1 (Civic VX) Fuel Economy Swap Guide

simplyest way the other guy said just get another d16a6, then it's plug and play.
that d15z1 is becoming more of a commodity there harder to come by and guys want them the higher gas milage potential

1 - 15 of 15 Posts