Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the d15z1 vtec-e motor. can i put a d16z6 vtec head on it ? if so wht else would i have to do for tht to work ?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i believe you can. also search on here it has been done before i cant remembe by who but i remember seeing a thread i also read that you can just swap the cam and lifter's

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
you can put it on there but your gonna have like 8:1 compression or lower, the z1 has a 16cc dish piston and a super small combustion chamber, and the z6 has a much bigger chamber and less dish in the piston. if it was mine i would hybrid the 2 heads, by using the z6 rockers and rocker shafts in your z1 head and put the z6 lma assemblt on it with the z6 cam, as theses two head are very similer and the z1 uses the same cam caps as the z6 but it dont have the lma assembly, but it fis right on the z1 cam caps. this will make it full vtec 16v all the time you will have to get a ecu chipped and tune it for the proper vtec engagement spot

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
you can put it on there but your gonna have like 8:1 compression or lower, the z1 has a 16cc dish piston and a super small combustion chamber, and the z6 has a much bigger chamber and less dish in the piston. if it was mine i would hybrid the 2 heads, by using the z6 rockers and rocker shafts in your z1 head and put the z6 lma assemblt on it with the z6 cam, as theses two head are very similer and the z1 uses the same cam caps as the z6 but it dont have the lma assembly, but it fis right on the z1 cam caps. this will make it full vtec 16v all the time you will have to get a ecu chipped and tune it for the proper vtec engagement spot
ha, have you ever seen a z1 intake port?? i boosted a z1, alot of the vtec-e knowledge floating around the honda communities came from me WAY back. in my opinion now, its all a waste of time, throw it away or sell it to some "tree huger".

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
ha, have you ever seen a z1 intake port?? i boosted a z1, alot of the vtec-e knowledge floating around the honda communities came from me WAY back. in my opinion now, its all a waste of time, throw it away or sell it to some "tree huger".
yes i have, i have 2 z1 heads downstairs and a whole 30k d15b econo (z1) sitting in the garage for a back up engine. the ports are pretty small but that doesnt mean that what i suggested wont help with gaining some performance out of the red headed step child of the d's

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
but its not going to help, will most likely hurt. the z1 ports and TINY valves cant flow enough even to support a stock z6 cam.

keep wasting your time.. and because it will bolt in doesnt mean its a good idea.....

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
but its not going to help, will most likely hurt. the z1 ports and TINY valves cant flow enough even to support a stock z6 cam.

keep wasting your time.. and because it will bolt in doesnt mean its a good idea.....
Well, sir, it seems you've forgotten the y5's. They're certainly not a waste of time, and should not be thrown away.

y5=y8 casting. same valve size, installed height, port size, potential=same as y8.

ONLY roadblock? Finding the right company to regrind you a cam that will work!

Z1's? Gas sipping slow daily is the duty it's pretty much relegated to. 10 psi from an rhb5 would make it drivable on the highway, and a cool daily. Not fast, though...

btw, they do say 2 heads are better than one! " d15z1 head with d16z6 head ?"

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were grouping all the vtec-e stuff together when you said this. If not, my mistake.

Carry on.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
If I was to boost a Z1, it would be an entire Z1...not a hybrid setup or mini-me. I've personally seen a boosted Z1, and it was fine in stock form for 200whp.

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
If I was to boost a Z1, it would be an entire Z1...not a hybrid setup or mini-me. I've personally seen a boosted Z1, and it was fine in stock form for 200whp.
my z1 @ 10psi was slower than a bolt on GSR sedan, by a good bit. after the hybrid trans it was close, but he would still take me, i was scared to push it any higher. i did rev it to 7800rpm though and never had a problem.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
When I said entire Z1, that was just the motor. The trans would most definitely need to be an Si or EX. I've driven a VX trans...totally not cool. Redlining in second at 91 mph...what?

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
i have ran 2 d15z1 motors with z6 head and boosted, they handle well mine did, about 16psi on a t3t4 .57 idk how much power i was making, but i was smashing on sti's smashing on evo's it was quick, my friend had a full y8 swap with vitara's and eagle rods, he has a greddy kit at 14psi tune and he makes 208whp and i got him by 3 cars... he did pull at first because of the small turbo but as soon as i spooled up i started pulling away

do it d15z1 with z6 head it can handle the power, plus the rod stroke ratio on a z1 is better then any d series, well same as d15b but :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts