Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
a Honda
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this thread in the n00b forum but I have decided to take this here instead in search of knowledge...

I have been toying with the notion of attempting a D15Z1 head build (albeit on a different block). While I realize that it has been designed for fuel economy, it does have roller rockers and must have the capability of producing respectable power. My question is, has anyone been able to get numbers from one of these heads? For those who say that you can't make power with this head, what are your reasons? And what flaws are there in the design of the head? I'm aware it only opens one valve while not in VTEC, but once the solenoid pops, I don't see why (with the right cam and/or valves, springs and retainers) this head can't make more power than it's counterparts.

I welcome any input but please, don't flame if you haven't tried this personally

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
IRRC there are many threads just like this one. search and you will see.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Roller rockers do not mean it has potential unless you're set on improving fuel economy. There's many other factors involved. If you're looking to make power, you're better off replacing the head. The ports on the Z1 are much smaller than the ports on the other heads.

·
Registered
a Honda
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
certainly some port work would correct the problem?

for the record, i don't have a z1 head yet. i was thinking of getting one just to build

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Not without cutting into the water jacket, etc. With the amount of port work it would take, you're better off starting with a "better" head to begin with....it would be far from "some". As stated before, the roller rockers do not offer huge advantage on the D-series.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
there was a thread here not to long ago, someone was putting the rollor rockers from a d17 into a z6 head. i forgot where it was and havent re stumbled upon it but i was curious about it, iirc he said it bolted right in

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I believe I remember that. I don't think some questions were answered though like "does the camshaft still drive the distributor".

Drawbacks of the roller cam is you can't run aggressive rates as you would on a rocker-pad setup...which are also variable ratio. Pretty much only thing going for it is less friction. Makes you wonder though; why a lot of high-revving engines(even factory ones) use a rocker pad or bucket setup.

·
Registered
455 Posts
for my own project, i came to the conclusion it's better off just to turbo the z1. would still provide the fuel efficiency cruising around and i'm thinking there may be more mid-range torque potential to tap that could make up for lack of peak

1 - 13 of 13 Posts