Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
92 civic dx hatch
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
D15z1 engine in a 98 civic. Me and my buddy has came to the conclusion that in the civic they have kept the obd2 wiring harness and changed hook ups to the on the dizzy and put a ecu obd2 to obd1 conversion harness. We've sodered the dizzy so it plugs straight into the wiring harness (because we had to replace the dizzy) . He was told he had a mini-me swap but its actually a z1 head and block with a jdm d15 intake manifold, we have a z1 or z6 dizzy.

We were doing a head gasket on this car originally that had been sitting for about a year, after replacing the gasket, we changed the oil and filter, new new spark plugs in, new timing belt, kept the old spark plug wires, started out getting weak spark, changed the ignitor(screwed up the original one up), so we bought a remanufactured dizzy thinking that was the problem. Now we have no spark at all.

We have compression, fuel pump primes, main relay clicks twice.

What ive tried/checked.
Known good dizzy cap and wires off of a d15b7
Spare ecu(p28 5 speed, his car is also a 5 speed)
Checking fuses under the dash and under the hood. fuses 18, 24 and 31.
Re-check mechanical timing.
No CEL code

What im trying next - resodering the wires we sodered together to make the dizzy plug exactly to the wiring harness.
testing the reisistance at the a/b terminals and coil spring(if someone can help me out on how to test the coil spring that'd be awesome)

Also there is an alarm system that is very sensitive.

·
Registered
92 civic dx hatch
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And im rechecking and cleaning the 3 grounds.

·
Registered
92 civic dx hatch
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still have to test that with the new dizzy so ill update you whethere it cuts off/on up/down. Im thinking ignition switch is one of our problems too, its having trouble catching to start, I have to sometime wiggle the start connections to get it to crank. What do you think?

·
Registered
92 civic dx hatch
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also we did a compression test and they all around around 80-90 psi's. Could this low compression be a problem of no starting?

·
Registered
92 civic dx hatch
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, ill do another compression check dry and wet. I have no doubts that engine will start, theres no way the pistons or head gasket is stopping it from starting.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,522 Posts
you need 120+ psi dry cranking to fire.

How was the bottom end stored? Sounds like sticking rings.

·
Registered
92 civic dx hatch
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bottom end looked good from the top, cylinder walls were smooth, no sharp edges. Pistons moved freely with no problem. Before assuming it is my bottom end, im going to do another compression test and see how that turns out, I remember doing it for only 2-3 count rather than 5 like i seen on eric the car guys video. But if my compression ends up checking out, i guess im going to move to testing the dizzy, dizzy wires to harness, ignition switch, and testing ecu power.

·
Registered
92 civic dx hatch
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might have found the culprit, when i touch the wire a beeping sound comes on with the key in the ignition like it should.

·
Registered
92 civic dx hatch
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anybody know where this is supposed to be connected too?

·
Registered
92 civic dx hatch
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very well, that will be done as soon as i get home. So basically if the compression doesn't measure up with all the other cylinders, it could either be the headgasket isn't seal right, one or more valves are bent or the piston rings are shot. Am I on the right track here? I mean ive had my experience with timing belts, adjusting valves, rebuilding heads etc, but ive never ran into this problem. So thanks for all the help on nailing it down.

·
Registered
92 civic dx hatch
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Compression test dry except for the 3rd cylinder, i did wet and dry and no change.

4 - 3 - 2 - 1
(110) (30-55) ( 95 ) (110)

·
Registered
92 civic dx hatch
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking the same thing about them extra wires and i dont know man, haven't been too excited to get under the dash backassward and trace the wires. There is something definitely up with the ignition switch because i have to turn it over back and forth a few times before it will hit to crank.

As for the low compression, what do you think it is?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts

·
Registered
92 civic dx hatch
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hell yeah, got one question answered, thanks 2jz.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,680 Posts
Reactions: 79hilux90crx

·
Registered
92 civic dx hatch
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Distributor terminal A: 12.15v -- terminal B: 12.15V -- coil spring 15.44 ohms
compression check dry : 4(110) 3(90) 2(95) 1(110) - finally got the compression I neeeded
Ignition switch all checks out at 12 volts and above.

The check engine light does not turn on at all when the car is turned to the run/position or cranking. The fuel injectors prime, main relay clicks twice, fuel pumps prime.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts