Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey new to the forum but not to civics. used to have a 97 ex but it threw a rod and hydro locked, now i have an 94 eg hatch with a d15b8 only 89k miles! im going to turbo charge it with a T25 but need some input and help, im just hoping to get some boost around 8-12 pounds its a DD so i just want some fun out of it, what do i need to get started, if i get the turbo am i going to need new injectors?etc.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You should get the injectors and a wabro 255 so you don't run out of fuel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, is there anything else that i need to know like if im running a simple amount of 8-12 pounds will i need to rebuild the head at all? any tuning i need to do? (remember im new to boost)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do a compression test and leak down test first before you buy anything and make sure your motors in good condition for boost. Then if it is your stock motor will hold up to 200whp safely as long as you get a SAFE TUNE. The tune is a MUST no questions asked do not skip out on that can with that hp your car will last 2 or 3 years maybe longer depending on how well you take care of it and with once again, a GOOD TUNE!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You could get away with stock injectors and a wabro with the power you can expect to make.
Stock honda fuel pressure regulators can't bypass enough fuel at idle with a wabro if you're on the stock tune but you're getting it tuned anyways.

Still you'd be pushing stock injectors in that situation and most people would rather just go to a bigger injector.
But despite going to higher injectors some power hungry guys on a built set up end up pushing the bigger injectors all the way cranking up the rail pressure a little till they can't deliver any more fuel because they didn't go big enough on their injector choice or build cost was an issue.

Head work for flow improves the hp per lb in boost. But you could just run more boost and hot air to it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
well it's not so much psi you have to worry about, it's more the tune then anything. with 8-12 psi you should be good with a t25 probably wouldn't see more then 200 but it would be close. another thing you have to think about is I believe the b8 is only an 8 valve so if I were you I could do a mini me swap with a z6 head to up the power and more valves. but that's just me

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If you're really hard up at least run a b7 head and maby a delta cam regrind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the input guys im running compression test tommorow and just installed tach... 94 cx's dont come with a rpm gauge :( but now i have a fluctuating idle which i hear is pretty common so compression tests sould be done while im at the shop any ways, also wondering, the B7 head? will that fit on my d15 b8 block and perfectly replace the b8 without mods? and if i swap to a b7 head what other parts do i need?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
d16z6 > d16a6> d16y8 > d16y7 > d15's ....and the 8 valve d15 (your motor) comes in as the worst d15 for power at a whopping 60hp from factory

some will argue that the y8 is better than the a6 they both have +/-... y8 has inferior oiling system but vtec head...a6 has bassically a z6 block with non vtec head

any d16 is going to be better than the d15 untill the rods become redily available which should be within the next year between both fj dist. and RCauto

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That clears alot up thanks lol, im getting frustrated with my d15b8 anyways, fluctuating idle that we cant solve, taking apart IVAC and well see from there, i miss poping vtec also, i used to have a d16y8 in my 97 ex sedan, but never been in, seen, heard, or raced a d16z6, how do the y8 and z6 compare, and which would be easiest to install in my hatch? i believe the z6 is a 92-95 ex motor so wouldnt it just fit right in exactly and i just replace mounts cause they should be replaced any way?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i personally like the Z6 the best out of all the D16's and its a pretty simple swap.. but make sure you get the trans with it aswell. then boost it.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
x2

full z6 motor/trans/ecu/harness ...drops right in and fire it up and go...then boost

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
well he cant really just plug it in and go lol, he will have to wire up the vtec.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
want simple power?

b2/b7/a6 HEAD for 16 valves

pure and simple, the ehad swap alone will satisfy you until you finish the turbo setup.

be sure to run a z6 or y8 intake manifold (prefer z6 though)

dont go over 180whp unless you have total faith in your tuner

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, im going with a z6, and obviously getting the trans and all the other goods that must accompany a swap, my question was is that z6 goin to fit exactly in, like say i bought everything and took the d15 out and had the z6 on my lift, will it go directly in and i just put it in on the mounts no problem?? i kno i gotta wire up stuff and all that

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts