Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Polaris 250 lol
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done research but want a few things cleared up please, a d15b8 crankshaft has 45mm rod journals and all D-series have the same piston wrist pin size right? and isn't it forged just like the rest of the d series cranks?

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
750 Posts
I have done research but want a few things cleared up please, a d15b8 crankshaft has 45mm rod journals and all D-series have the same piston wrist pin size right? and isn't it forged just like the rest of the d series cranks?
Yeap on the cranks, you would need D15b2/b7 size forge rods if building for boost. :)

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Yeap on the cranks, you would need D15b2/b7 size forge rods if building for boost. :)
You sure? I was under the impression the rod journals were a different size on the B8? Guess I can take mine apart and measure tomorrow at the shop.

Now what to do with the 8 valve head... lol

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
750 Posts
The only real difference is the head I've taken a few d15s apart in my time, I think 20 at last account.

Same bearing in all of the d15 I've rebuild except the rod size for D15z7 and d15b, both non-USDM engines.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,461 Posts
D15B1/2/7/8 have 42mm rod journals

D15's have three different rod journal sizes. 40mm/42mm/45mm

D wrist pins are NOT all the same size.

·
Registered
Polaris 250 lol
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm aware of the d15b and d15z7 having rods more like a d16 with the 48mm journals but i forget if they are longer too or not, a mini me swap or maybe just a b7 conversion is in my plans since the 8v head but gotta keep c/r lower for the future turbo :)

·
Registered
Polaris 250 lol
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh alright thanks transzex, I didn't see that post til the page refreshed after my last post, but thanks for clearing that up, so I need rods with 42mm journals and pistons that match the rod's wrist pin size? The crank is in fact forged though right?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,461 Posts
I'm aware of the d15b and d15z7 having rods more like a d16 with the 48mm journals but i forget if they are longer too or not, a mini me swap or maybe just a b7 conversion is in my plans since the 8v head but gotta keep c/r lower for the future turbo :)
D's don't have 48mm journals

·
Registered
Polaris 250 lol
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:/ ok there's a lot of misleading information on the Internet, ill believe you and most the other information Im no too worried about just wanted a better understanding but a d15b8 crankshaft has 42mm rod journals and is forged, I was worried about it being cast cause I saw a couple people say that and figured it made sense since its such a low hp motor

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
750 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,461 Posts
Here is the confusion......

D15 nonVTEC rods have a 45mm opening, to fit a 42mm rod journal.
D15 VTEC/D16 have 48mm opening to fit 45mm rod journal.

Anyone wanna guess how thick the rod bearings are?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts