Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I have a 1992 CX that runs PERFECT, but it is SLOW. I got it and wanted a D15B7 and all that, then a SOHC VTEC, but want to autocross. That would put me in SM and I don't know if I want to be in SM.

End of story basically lol.

I would like to run STS and that does not permit engine changes. My question is, if I had a Z6 IM, EX/SI tranny, Stage 2 clutch, header, intake, exhaust, a few other small mods, if the B8 is a reliable motor at high RPM's? 8 valves just seems weaker? Or is it?

Also a side note, does a D15B7 ECU add any power or anything?

Basic questions, how reliable are these B8's at high RPM's? Will be doing track days as well, it already sees visits to the mountains almost every other week and so far has never missed a beat

Thanks!

Simon

·
Registered
284 Posts
How are they going to tell if its a 16 valve head? The heads are exactly the same, the b8 just doesnt have the extra valve's machined in and has spacers in place of the rockers...trick them :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, I would rather at least be honest. I don't think they could tell unless they take it apart, which who knows, my luck they would.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
From what I've seen, a CRX HF can be fast autocrossing if you spend enough time and money on the suspension. Sure, you may never post an FTD, but it probably will win it's class over and over again.

Doesn't STS allow intake manifold swaps? (I haven't kept up with the changes to classes because my CRX has always been in SM.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I THINK STS allows a manifold swap, I skimmed through the rule book and didn't see it not allowing it. My main worry is the gearing on the CX tranny, it is horrible. My suspension is about perfect for me, I just need a little more grunt. I don't want the motor to blow up, so basically trying to find out if the B8 is strong enough to hold up to the task, thanks!

Simon

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
im sure it can be done, but with starting at only like 60hp, its gonna be hard to make anything of it. I would just swap a 16v head on there and then do your mods (I/H/E) etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have a b8 question, i just got one and was wondering if i put a 16V head on it, would i have to replace the pistions, or do they have the extra 2 slots for the extra to valves?

I.E. instead of 4 slots for valves on a 16V motor, does it have only 8? or does it have the 16?

I barely get on here, if someone could send me an E-mail ( [email protected] ) or a myspace message ( www.myspace.com/house_of_kulor )

i cant find any piston pics on the motor or anything

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
your searching powers have failed then.

I have a whole thread about building a D15Baby8.

·
Registered
90 CRX Mini-Me Turbo
464 Posts
I also have a b8 question, i just got one and was wondering if i put a 16V head on it, would i have to replace the pistions, or do they have the extra 2 slots for the extra to valves?

I.E. instead of 4 slots for valves on a 16V motor, does it have only 8? or does it have the 16?

I barely get on here, if someone could send me an E-mail ( [email protected] ) or a myspace message ( www.myspace.com/house_of_kulor )

i cant find any piston pics on the motor or anything
in 1992 half of the Cx's (b8's) came w/ the 4 valve pistons. it's real hard to tell by looking thru the sparkplug hole, so a bore scope is needed, or just pull the head to find out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
where can i get a bore scope from?
i have a chance to get a d16z6 head skunk 2 intake manifold, stage 2 cams, msd wires and a brand new dizzy, minimal work, i just wanted to know if i was gonna need to get pistons also

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used a D15B8, put a D15B7 head on it; no way to tell unless they pull the valvecover off; and only if they know for a fact a CX is 8valve, they won't tell;

The D15B8 is a tank..... As long as you don't stress the rods with too much power, it should be able to put for dayz.

·
Registered
88 RT4wd wagon
349 Posts
Manifold swap is not allowed in STS. Your only allowed to change the intake before the tb. If you just want to have fun then run what you have in sts or mod how you want and run in sm. If you want to be competitive in sts you'll need an Si chassis and engine to start with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts