Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i did this swap and it worked out great buttttt. whenever i try to set the ignition timing i cant get it to 16 btdc and i dont know what cam gear to use as far as the z6 or y8 or what. the other issue i have is when i turn on my ac the motor wants to idle real low and i have no power i think this is all related to the ign timing so ne ideas will help.

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
I feel like Honda specificly designed all of these deferent engines in advance, so you could piece together a performance motor. And have the engine your car was Ment to have.. because all of these oem parts work together perfectly, even though its not the part the engine cam with. Like how a d15 block, with a z6 head, needs a y7/y8 cam gear to be timed correctly.

Smart f***ing japs ....they knew all along...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Y7/Y8 cam gear.
This and if you still cant the base open up the ear holes on the distributor. It has worked for me in the past.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
I am proud of you. Your doing way better than me
At what? Not being a jerk to newbs who ask dumb questions?

I usually have to take a lot of deep breaths.

·
Registered
'93 Civic D15B7/5spd
120 Posts
I was running a Y7 cam gear on a similar setup, and it ended up cracking. When I went to remove it, all but one spoke was cracked, to the point where only the one spoke was still attatched. I went with an Edelbrock True Pitch cam gear and it works great.

Nothing against the Y7 cam gear, it helped me out in a pinch, but be very careful with them, they're more fragile than they appear.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I was running a Y7 cam gear on a similar setup, and it ended up cracking. When I went to remove it, all but one spoke was cracked, to the point where only the one spoke was still attatched. I went with an Edelbrock True Pitch cam gear and it works great.

Nothing against the Y7 cam gear, it helped me out in a pinch, but be very careful with them, they're more fragile than they appear.
How is it that they last well past 200K miles then?

·
Registered
'93 Civic D15B7/5spd
120 Posts
Because I said in my post that they all break, right? :wink:

What I mean is that they aren't as tough as the ol' solid ones. They can last plenty long enough, just be more careful with them is all. Don't go beating on them with a rubber mallet when they don't pop off and such. Use a puller.

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
I have literally never in my life had a y7 cam gear crack on me. Been using the same one for every engine I build. And I've beat on it with a hammer. 234,000 very, VERY hard miles...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so i got a y8 cam gear and nooo change at all in the way the car idles witht he ac on so i think it is just somthing to do with the ac bc with it off the car runs great and idles fine.

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
so i got a y8 cam gear and nooo change at all in the way the car idles witht he ac on so i think it is just somthing to do with the ac bc with it off the car runs great and idles fine.
F some ac. It was 110 degrees fir outside yesterday and I drove from 1pm-10:15pm with the windows down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its my dd and my wife wants it lol i dont use it but she wants it so i would like to know how to fix it lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts